Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add a carbon bike to complement my IF Steel Crown Jewel. Most of my rides are 30-40 mile fitness rides...occasionally longer. I'd like a compromise between comfort and performance. As I cannot find either frame to ride any experiences, opinions, and insights would be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,243 Posts
Well, that's kind of a tough one. They're both great bikes. I don't think you'll find anyone that has anything bad to say about C-50s, other than they're pricey. The Z4 is, likewise, getting rave reviews. One of my LBS owners has one and thinks it's the best frame he's ever pedaled. Mind you, he's pedaled just about every make of bike you can think of.

The big differentiator is going to be the geometry/sizing differences between the two. Iffin' I were you, I'd take a close look at the sizing charts and see how they compare to the geometry/size of your bike. FYI, Colnago has quite a few more sizes in the C-50 line than Parlee does in the Z4.

·
your god hates me
1,602 Posts
purplecu22 said:
I have a C50 and a Z2. Two very different bikes. To me, C50, begs to be ridden hard. Z2 all day bike.
Could you elaborate on that distinction? I'm inferring from your comment that the C50 is not comfortable enough to be an all-day bike? And would you say that the Z2 does not beg to be ridden hard...or just that in addition to that, it's also comfortable?

Thanks.

·
Registered
520 Posts
i'm also interested in the responses here.... not that i have nearly the cash to contemplate either, but colnago has always been a dream bike for me. then again, the parlee reviews have been nothing but steller.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
I also have a Z2 and a C50.

I love Colnagos (I have 3 in all), they fit me well and the geometry is very stable and ideally designed for long stage race type rides. it is not a quick bike in terms of handling.

My Z2 on the other hand feels like a rocket - quick and nimble. It's also good for long hauls, but it feels best when being pushed through twists and turns.

I imagine the differences I feel are due to the HTA, 72.2 for the C50 and 73.5 for the Parlee. In my case, they both differ somewhat in size, the C50 is a Colnago 58 and the Parlee is a 55 and those differences might contribute to the riding differences.

On the whole, I prefer the Parlee. Both are great on epic rides, but the Parlee just has a bit more spirit.

Although the Z4 appears to be a bargain in comparison, in the price range you're thinking, you really ought to have a conversation with Nic Crumpton or consider a Look 595. Of those two plus the two you're looking at, I'd rank the Parlee 3rd and the C50, 4th.

·
Banned
177 Posts
What about Cervelo RS?

The four bikes mentioned are all great, but the Cervelo RS has been getting great reviews for combining great handling and acceleration with a plush all day ride quality. It was Bicycling magazines Editors Choice last month for Best Plush Bike. I have been skeptical of Cervelo's up to this point because of their reputation for being almost too stiff. This model looks like a much better all around blend of comfort and performance. Also the price is significantly lower than the bikes you are looking at. That may or may not be important to you. In the end, I would try to ride all of the bikes you are considering. Competitive Cyclist has a demo program for both Colnago and Cervelo; even though it might cost a little money up front it could be well worth it. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.