Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone any feedback on the C50, R3 or 585. I will probably buy one of these frames in the next week but am still undecided on which one. I want something century comfortable but still feels quick. Thanks

·
Registered
303 Posts
I rode the 585, although my high end bike time is minimal, this was as perfect as can be bike.

My friend who owns the bike has a Time, Cervelo R3 and 585. He ranks them in order: Time, 585, R3

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
feedback..

Other people's impressions of a bike are usually pretty worthless, IMO. One guy says a C50 is a noodle and the next finds it too stiff for comfort. You don't know a thing about the comparing rider's size, weight or fitness level. The impressions from brief test rides are almost always useless.

There are some undeniable differences in the geometry. Colnago's will have more steering trail than the others, resulting in slower steering. If you don't do a lot of extreme high speed cornering, you'll probably never notice it. The Cervelo will have the least trail and steer the quickest. Just how much difference there is in steering trail will depend on the frame size.

I'd place a lot of value on fit. It's really not possible to comment on fit differences without a specific size.

There is a limited supply of R3s. The complete shimano equipped bikes shipped first, followed by the 56cm frames. In bare frames, you may not find anything but the 56cm available at the present time (that's all Excel Sports has).

·
Registered
8 Posts
C-40 said:
You don't know a thing about the comparing rider's size, weight or fitness level.

Good point. I tried the R3 and the Soloist carbon, both 54cm, and went with the Soloist. I'm 153lbs 5'10" but I found the Soloist better suited for me. Weight and fitness are key factors in choosing an expensive bike.

There is a limited supply of R3s. The complete shimano equipped bikes shipped first, followed by the 56cm frames. In bare frames, you may not find anything but the 56cm available at the present time (that's all Excel Sports has).

My LBS cannot keep the Soloist Carbon and R3 54cm and 56cm in stock. They sold 4 in 3 days.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I weigh about 175lb's and am coming off a medium carbon TCR. I like the TCR but the top tube was a bit too long for my build. Any thoughts on the r3, c50, 585 stifness for my weight?
My LBS has a 54 R3 coming in next week and I can get a killer deal on a 585.
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would ride both of them. Your comfort, feel for the bike, and your performance on hills and flats should be your deciding factor, even if you can get a deal on another brand. I also have a TCR and thought that was as good as it gets, until I put my butt on a Cervelo.

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
about stiffness..

I suspect that any of these top-of-the line-frames would be adequately stiff. Velo News recently did a stiffness test on a number of frames, including the R3. The R3 was first in lateral stiffnes and second to a C'dale CAAD 9 in bottom bracket stiffness.

As far as fit goes, the medium 585 would be nearly 1cm shorter in reach, with 6mm more head tube length. The R3 will have about 1.5cm less reach and a 2mm shorter head tube. A 50cm Colnago sloping frame would have the tallest head tube and a reach that's about 1cm less than you have now.

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
HBPUNK said:
I rode the 585, although my high end bike time is minimal, this was as perfect as can be bike.

My friend who owns the bike has a Time, Cervelo R3 and 585. He ranks them in order: Time, 585, R3

He owns all three? Which Time model?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Really I would just go by fit. Any of these bikes will be incredible if they fit. If that Look is a good price and fits absolutly perfect get it. But if it doesn't fit perfect pay the extra to get one that fits

·
Self-Banned
16,905 Posts
asawlrider123456789 said:
Really I would just go by fit. Any of these bikes will be incredible if they fit. If that Look is a good price and fits absolutly perfect get it. But if it doesn't fit perfect pay the extra to get one that fits

...and for God sakes, don't buy a Twrek!... Right, asawlrider123456789? ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have the 585, it is superb. From what I gathered when I was making my decision: you won't go wrong. Get the one that fits (shouldn't be too hard considering they all come in multiple sizes). What I liked about the 585 is that it is a perfectly neutral race bike, very stiff for the weight (frame and fork are very light in weight, yet utilize thicker tubing that most light frames) and smooth as silk. Supposedly the C50 is smoother yet (if so, it must be like riding with 45c cyclocross tires) and slower in the front end. I don't know much about the R3. Really, buy the one that fits!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I just built a 585 for myself 2 days ago. I also had a R2.5 Cervelo before that. I have also had a Look previously & a Colnago but not the carbon Colnago. Between the cervelo & the Look I like the Look best as far as quality of construstion & fit & finish. As others have said the main thing for you is going to be fit. Although I think the Look & Cervelo is close in that department. In my case the taller headtube on the Look is actually perfect for my prefered 3" drop between saddle & bars. It will allow me to run no spacers which I like the look of.Although I have one 10 in there now just to be sure. I will recut the fork next week. Take your time & take all things into consideration. Shopping for a new frame is such a cool thing ;)
Good Luck !

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have been riding a cervelo r2.5 for about a year. It took about 250 miles to get dialed in. Excellent ride withe the stiffness and compliance we all search for. As far as choice goes, go with the one you think looks the best and the one you can get the best deal on.

At the end of the day the differences between frames are too minor to quantify. They are all excellent choices.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Flying, that's a one sweet looking bike.
I get to test ride the C-50 and the 585 tomorrow. The LBS sold their demo R3 Thursday.
Thanks again for the feedback.

·
Registered
43 Posts
adelaney01 said:
Flying, that's a one sweet looking bike.
I get to test ride the C-50 and the 585 tomorrow. The LBS sold their demo R3 Thursday.
Thanks again for the feedback.
Be sure and post your thoughts! I am also considering the above bikes, as well as a Kona King Zing (team deal).

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
One of the reasons I chose the C50 is because the sizes are in 1cm increments. The others mentioned are in 2cm increments. I wanted a 55, the top tube was too long on the 56, the head tube was too short on the 54.

Al

1 - 20 of 34 Posts