Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between these two great bikes. I've test ridden both of them and I like the ride. The Colnago CLX has full Ultegra SL and Mavic Aksium wheelset and cost $3000. The Ridley Excalibur has SRAM Rival with the same Aksium wheels for $2000. The frames are both made in Taiwan. I love the bling factor of the Colnago CLX and it deffinitely is an eye catcher but it cost $1000 more and a pound heavier compared to the Ridley Excalibur. Which one should I get?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Colnago for bling, but I'd recommend the Ridley because of price. You should get the Ridley and dump the extra $1000 into a premium wheelset..... because the Aksiums are junk. As an aside, Ridley's are definitely not lacking in bling either. Good luck on your choice.

·
haole from the mainland
5,966 Posts
I'll add another Aksium's suck. I bought a pair for use on the trainer and rollers and when I've ridden them on the road, they are real dogs compared to my Ksyrium SLs. Super heavy. If you have any hills, you will appreciate a better wheelset.

Ask you shop for a quote for the Ridley with better wheels. Boring Ksyrium SLs or maybe the new Dura Ace 7850-SL tubeless wheels.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
draftdodger said:
You should get the Ridley and dump the extra $1000 into a premium wheelset..... because the Aksiums are junk. As an aside, Ridley's are definitely not lacking in bling either. Good luck on your choice.
yup.... since u are noting the 1k difference, that tells me u prolly wont buy the clx and then shell for good wheels... in that case, ridley + wheels no doubt... dont even ride the bike ! rip off those aksiums complete and ebay it as a new take-off, dont even let the tires hit the ground... use that plus a few hundred for nice wheels... then the ridely will be even lighter as aksiums aint exactly light !!

this assumes that the ridley is a good fit and u like the double tap setup that is... but yeah.. 2k for that is a pretty good deal.... the clx maybe colnago, but isn't exactly bling... has a pretty negative rep in the bike scene over here actually...

·
Knives, Guns, and Booze
2,942 Posts
I am a recent SRAM convert, only because my Ridley (Damocles) came with it. After a couple of months with it, I still prefer Ultegra/Dura-Ace. In fact, I miss them. I’d suggest going with the Colnago, since otherwise everyone is going to have a Ridley, and then I wouldn’t feel so special anymore.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Leopold Porkstacker said:
I am a recent SRAM convert, only because my Ridley (Damocles) came with it. After a couple of months with it, I still prefer Ultegra/Dura-Ace. In fact, I miss them. I’d suggest going with the Colnago, since otherwise everyone is going to have a Ridley, and then I wouldn’t feel so special anymore.
Congrats on your Damacles, a couple of my riding buddies have Ridleys. Damocles full campy record and Noah full campy record. Ridley have taken building bikes to another level! I would worry to much about every body riding a Ridley. the only other two Ridleys that I know of are yours and Cadel Evans. The new Noahs have areo forks and seat stays to eliminate air turbulence between the wheel/spokes and the fork and stay. me want!! oh well:nonod:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.