Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never seen one of these before.
Absolutely the most awesome Colnago ever. I'd want one just for that bottom bracket shell.
Price is insane but might find a buyer. You would never run into someone in a Fondo on a bike the same as yours.

Colnago Master Dual | eBay

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,456 Posts
For a couple of years Colnago fooled around with double down tubes, ostensibly to stiffen the frame. I had a Bi-Titan model, a lovely bike but a wet noodle.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
For a couple of years Colnago fooled around with double down tubes, ostensibly to stiffen the frame. I had a Bi-Titan model, a lovely bike but a wet noodle.
I was going to mention the Bi-Titan. Never rode one, but always heard they were really flexy. And wasn't it Russian titanium?

And DaveG can slap me, because I've got Dura Ace on my C-40.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
And Mapei put Dura Ace on their 'Nags (but not this Mapei). I actually use a mechanic who once toiled for the Mapei team. He told me that Ernesto and Campagnolo had a falling out at one time.

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
And Mapei put Dura Ace on their 'Nags (but not this Mapei). I actually use a mechanic who once toiled for the Mapei team. He told me that Ernesto and Campagnolo had a falling out at one time.
That's what I heard as well.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The welded Bititans were also prone to breakage. So many broke they are kind of rare now. IIRC they were Swiss made, later monotube ones were Russian.
The dual downtube was meant to widen the attachment at the bottom bracket. The breaks were usually at the down tube/bottom bracket weld.
The carbon ones made by ALAN were much better.

I have never seen another dual downtube Colnago in steel. I wonder how it rides?

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Don't buy. The seller put Dura Ace on it. Its ruined
Campagnolo C Record was garbage. I have a whole gruppo in a box in the basement. Fiddly Delta brakes in both versions, Syncro index that barely worked, hubs that need a weird tool to take of an aero cap to adjust, ugh...

Late eighties DA was fantastic by comparison. Never mind the romantic dreamers, take it from someone who rode both!

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Campagnolo C Record was garbage. I have a whole gruppo in a box in the basement. Fiddly Delta brakes in both versions, Syncro index that barely worked, hubs that need a weird too to take of an aero cap to adjust, ugh...

Late eighties DA was fantastic by comparison. Never mind the romantic dreamers, take it from someone who rode both!
I did a bike tour with Andy Hampsten's Chingale outfit about 16 years ago. I had this old copy of the Italian cycling magazine BiciSport that had an ad for Dura Ace in it. It had a picture of Hampsten getting ready for a time trial standing next to his Dura Ace equipped bike. He signed it for me. I asked him how the pros at the time felt about Shimano. He said "everyone wanted it because it really worked great".

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Campagnolo C Record was garbage. I have a whole gruppo in a box in the basement. Fiddly Delta brakes in both versions, Syncro index that barely worked, hubs that need a weird tool to take of an aero cap to adjust, ugh...

Franco Ballerini win the '95 Paris Roubaix on a Dura Ace equipped C40. That being said I like Campy on my Italian bikes. Cinelli, for the right price I'll take that C Record group off your hands.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I'm torn between wanting to get rid of the accursed assemblage and hoping a Cinelli Laser to put it on comes my way.
Ahhh, the grail.

I've never used a set of the Delta brakes, but heard a lot about how poorly they work (but they look so good!). I have 1st gen C-Record on my Merckx Pro and it works pretty nicely - Cobalto brakes. It does have Dura Ace shifters, though. The weak link in the C-Record is supposed to be the Synchro shifters, although I have a set on another Athena equipped bike and they work great.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Syncro had issues because it had no dedicated cassette or chain. It tried to work with several different combinations. I had two early versions and tried a bunch of indexing ratchet gears.
I had the four pivot Delta brakes. They work fine but are horribly difficult to set up. I have the five pivots and they are very good, comparable to modern brakes if set up right.
I really want a Laser in MAX to the point that I have thought about getting a replica made.
I saw a picture of Andrea Pesenti himself on one in Fondo once. I guess he has a couple.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts