Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a CT1 with 1" forks for a few years, and recently noticed that it has a crack in the paintwork all the way round the top of the crown, a couple of mm below the metal cuff at the base of the steerer. I've looked at another Force fork, and seen the same cracking (not a straight crack, more of a 'flaked crack'). There seems to be fairly thick paint in this area, so wondered if this common on these forks, or do I need to spend the next 2 years trying to get my hands on a new 1" Colnago fork (from my recent attempts this could be an optimistic timeframe)? I'll post a photo tomorrow.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That sucks. I'd wet sand off the paint and inspect the carbon in that area. Use ultra fine grained paper! It may be a paint issue.
Other than that, I wasn't impressed at all by the force fork. It has an unforgiving ride. I'd see if you can find an alpha q (similar shape.) and it will save you big $$$. One inch forks are getting harder and harder to find. You probably should find a backup too, just in case.

·
Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
AlexCad5 said:
That sucks. I'd wet sand off the paint and inspect the carbon in that area. Use ultra fine grained paper! It may be a paint issue.
Other than that, I wasn't impressed at all by the force fork. It has an unforgiving ride. I'd see if you can find an alpha q (similar shape.) and it will save you big $$$. One inch forks are getting harder and harder to find. You probably should find a backup too, just in case.
I've never had an issue with my flash fork--been riding it for 7+ years now. Also never noticed the "unforgiving" ride you mention. Not sure why someone would want to put a non-Colnago fork on a Colnago either though they do cost $$$.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Same crack on my Force Carbon

Just today I thought I would dust off the Force Carbon fork and put it on Ebay, just as I was cleaning the fork I noticed the same crack on the fork crown as you pictured..........wow I am so glad I swapped the fork out in favor of the chrome Precisa for my MXL a year back and avoided a catastrophy!
I did buy the bike used but it was pristine, complete and barely any sign of use. Not a single mark on the frame anywhere........except for a cracked crown.

Bummed I can't sell it now but extremely glad I probably saved myself few grand of hospital bill.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I got me one of them there forks in me shed having swapped to steel a while ago. Might check to see if it's forked, still I wonder if that's a crack in the paint. I had something similar on a Guru frame I owned, they sent a letter to their dealers explaining how it was paint related rather than structural. Mind you, not sure I'd chance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.