Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Folks,

just gathering opinions and thoughts about my 2 Colnago Masters.
I am the lucky owner of 2 Master Olympic one of them being a "Decor".
The lMO Decor was a recent purchase through ebay, equipped with true era vintage Campagnolo Record 8 speed, integrated shifters, all other componensts Campy Record as well (headset, cranks etc.) steel Precis fork. After unpacking the bike, there were some substantial differences, cosmetically speaking from the pictures of the ad, the paintjob being a little rougher in reality. Also seems that there were major paint damages on the bottom side of the top tube, grossly repaired...

My other "standard" Olympic (with Colnago factory carbon "flash" fork) has just a few minor chips, and for the age is a very well taken care frame, caveat being components installed (it was an exercise of mine/project to get a steel frame bike under 20lbs): front, rear derailleur, brakes, shifters Campagnolo Record carbon titanium; HED jet 6 wheels with cyclops SL+, aluminum Thompson Elite seat post and Zipp handlebars; SRAM red compact cranksets, 10 speed cassette SRAM as well as chain. and this is my "go to/every sortie ride" to preserve the C50.

I had the thought to do a components swap between the 2 Masters, having the Decor fitted with with the Frankestein group, and the nicer frame with the complete vintage Campy Record ( potential tech issue could be threadlsess Flash fork installation vs threaded Precisa on the MO Decor).

What would you do, potential tech issues aside, if feasible? Go for a swap or put up with the scratches on the Decor and keep it genuine?
I will provide pics when able. Just gathering thoughts, and opinions.

Cheers!

(I will post pics when able of the frames in question)

·
is riding in MOPP4
695 Posts
Personally, I would only consider 2 options: 1) install the Campy 8 speed on the standard Olympic and keep the carbon fork, or 2) leave your standard Olympic alone.

I'm leaning towards option 2. Your everyday bike may be made up of a mishmash of parts, but it's you're baby and it's uniqueness is a reflection of who you are. Okay, do the Decor is nice, but are you going to be happy riding it knowing that the paint job/resto is subpar? I'd probably strip the Decor frame and hang it up somewhere, and look for another frame to hang the Campy 8 speed.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I agree.

I don't know what the vintages of these 2 are, but presumably the carbon threadless fork one is post-2000, so while I can like the older frame with newer components idea, I'm not so crazy about putting the 1990's 8-speed components on a newer frame.

Detailed pictures of the 8-speed components would help get better advice on what to do with them.

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
Why do you need to switch forks? It really shouldn't be a problem if you want to do it, except maybe for aesthetics if the decor fork is painted vs simple chrome.

FWIW, I have several bikes with Campy 6 thru 11 speed, and they really nailed it with the 8 speed. The three bikes I have with 8 ( one downtube Syncro, the others Ergo) have some the best shifting of any of my bikes, including the Super Record 11, and I wouldn't have any problem with using it for everyday riding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the inputs so far. Just a side note: from Mr Colnago, the carbon fork allegedly was an option available for the Olympic. I will post pictures of both specimens. However I think the Decor will stay original with its Precisa fork and 8 speed Ergo Campagnolo...but the jury is still out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
not sure how old your Master is, but my this guy did an amazing job resto-modding this 89ish Master. all retro but with new 11sp Campy

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
...and the Master Oympic Decor: as you can see the bottom of the top tube is the one with more damage, and subsequently grossly "repaired"...Question is make this the daily rider for training with the mix and match of more modern components, and transfer the vintage Record to the blu MO (including fork swapping as well)?
Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle fork Bicycle frame Blue Mode of transport Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport Bicycle tire Spoke Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Bicycle frame Brown Infrastructure Road Plain Parallel Brown Bicycle accessory Bicycle part Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
1st one looked to be a Mapei version? I think I have more damage on the underside of my Pinarello Gavia. Pinas not known for very hard paint.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1st one looked to be a Mapei version? I think I have more damage on the underside of my Pinarello Gavia. Pinas not known for very hard paint.
I thought the same, about the Mapei paint job, but for some reason I don't think it is. Very close, and oddly similar.
When I provided the frame numbers to Colnago, they ascertained both are true and genuine, however, no mention to a special paint job, except for the Decor. The blue MO, i bought as a frame only ( fork included), factory proved where was sold as new, and I bought it from the same guy. The Decor, based on s/n and special paint was confirmed original but no other details in terms where, when it was sold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought the same, about the Mapei paint job, but for some reason I don't think it is. Very close, and oddly similar.
When I provided the frame numbers to Colnago, they ascertained both are true and genuine, however, no mention to a special paint job, except for the Decor. The blue MO, i bought as a frame only ( fork included), factory proved where was sold as new, and I bought it from the same guy. The Decor, based on s/n and special paint was confirmed original but no other details in terms where, when it was sold.

However the 8v Campy installed on the Decor, are so nice! Shifters are nice and crisp, derailleur, precise and smooth. I dare to say even better than the Campy Record 11 on my C50, and they are new out of the box...

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
I think they both look pretty nice. I'd just ride them as they are. That damage on the second Master you bought is hard to see. At least its not on the top of the tube. If it really bugs you, have someone (a professional) touch it up or repaint it. There's a lots of good frame painters out there that would make the frame look brand new for maybe $600-$700. I like the classic look of the second Master -- steel fork, polished components and threaded head set/stem. I bought an Arabesque last year and really like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you pmf. I'll just ride the Decor as it is now, and keep the cleaning and polishing going. The blue MO is still a work in progress, subject to mods ( cranckset, chain cassette, wheel set...)

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
Kind of unique to have the same frame with two different set ups. The carbon forks knocks off a pound, but loses the cool look that the steel fork has. I've got two steel bikes. One, an Eddy Merckx 01 Corsa, has a painted to match carbon fork. I put Campy Athena on it because it came in a polished finish. The Colnago Arabesque has a steel fork and Campy Chorus. It has a less classic look component wise. I like them both. I don't really notice much difference between the steel fork and the carbon fork. The two bikes have somewhat different geometry though.

·
Registered
7,147 Posts
I'd pay a painter to do the best touch up they can on the decor and keep it as is. You have two really great bikes though. Personally I wouldn't change anything and be happy riding them both. Putting the parts mishmash on the decor is wrong when you have period correct gear on it already. IMO

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I agree - ride both as they are. IMO those paint dings are negligible and you can just touch them uo with fingernail polish or Testors paint. Nice bikes! For fun, here's my C40 from the same era. since the pic, now sporting Campy Zonda wheels.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice bike hfc. How much did you pay for the Zonda's? bought new or pre owned. The Decor is on Khamsin so she can roll. As well as the C50 (gave it a face lift with Campagnolo Record 11 group and skeleton brakes) is on Neutrons of some derivation while I make up my mind and also for the bumpy roads of the Southwest... Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Attachments

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,808 Posts
I have 2 sets of Zondas, one set that doesn't need rim tape on the C40 and anther set slightly older. Both sets came on other used bikes that I bought, so got them for good deals. I was never really a fan of the aesthetics of the G3 spoke pattern, but since I got the wheels, really like them. They're a nice combo of lightness and stiffness.

Ribble almost always has good prices on Campy wheels and with the discount they have now, you can get a set for a shade over $300. That's about what people pay used for these!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts