Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Quite some time ago, I posted pics of my old Colnago Master frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1940917&mode=linear#post1940917

Here is what it looks like now. I have not yet taken detail pictures of it, but shall post some shortly. This is taken from the painter's portfolio on their website.

I know, I know, the lettering is not Molteni period-correct, but I don't care. In person it's gorgeous.

Now, I am trying to collect the bits and pieces to be able to ride it some day.

·
Low Idiot Tolerance
329 Posts
I liked it before.

But I love it now!

The decals may not be period correct for Molteni but I like the way it takes the traditional Molteni orange and updates it. Kind of a tribute to that great team. I'll even forgive the signature decal being a little off straight.

Is that something sticking out of the bottom bracket cup?

Can't wait to see this built up, whats the plan for it, component wise?

Grumps

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Grumps,

Thanks for your interest. The frame was mounted on some sort of tube fixed on the wall for the picture, I believe. But now it's here, nothing sticking out of the B B cup anymore !

As for the build, traditionalists please do not read further :D

Only shiny bits, but I will definitely not go the route of DT shifters or 7 speed freewheels. Essentially Record 9 speed, and no carbon. Still collecting the parts, some NOS, some used.

Wheels will be built with Record hubs, Sapim Race spokes, and Campagnolo Victory (very nice bronze-like colour) NOS rims, with black (not so sure whether to get all black or tan walled) tubulars. 3ttt quill stem and matching handlebar. C-record seatpost.

Saddle will probably be a Regal, still hesitating whether I should take white or tan. I believe both would look great. Tape will be matching, of course. Since it will be a nice weather bike, I might as well get white...we'll see.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
tecnosabba said:
Hi Grumps,

Thanks for your interest. The frame was mounted on some sort of tube fixed on the wall for the picture, I believe. But now it's here, nothing sticking out of the B B cup anymore !

As for the build, traditionalists please do not read further :D

Only shiny bits, but I will definitely not go the route of DT shifters or 7 speed freewheels. Essentially Record 9 speed, and no carbon. Still collecting the parts, some NOS, some used.

Wheels will be built with Record hubs, Sapim Race spokes, and Campagnolo Victory (very nice bronze-like colour) NOS rims, with black (not so sure whether to get all black or tan walled) tubulars. 3ttt quill stem and matching handlebar. C-record seatpost.

Saddle will probably be a Regal, still hesitating whether I should take white or tan. I believe both would look great. Tape will be matching, of course. Since it will be a nice weather bike, I might as well get white...we'll see.
I'm with you there. Carbon and/or black bits and anything other than a quill stem would not do that justice. Beautiful frame.

·
Registered
363 Posts
love Molteni, love your new paint. 9 spd is a good choice, although I would look for late generation 9 spd ('99, '00) since they are also compatible with 10 spd. looking forward to seeing the finished product

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
orbeamike said:
love Molteni, love your new paint. 9 spd is a good choice, although I would look for late generation 9 spd ('99, '00) since they are also compatible with 10 spd. looking forward to seeing the finished product

Thank you, and thanks to the other posters as well! That's exactly what I am looking for. Already got some bits and pieces, quill stem just arrived today...patience has become my daily companion.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Niiiiiiice Tecnosaba!!! You have a beautiful Colnago joining your esteemed Tommasini Tecno!! Dang!!! 2 frames on my top five most wanted list! I love the Molteni!! Can't wait til you build it up and give us a ride report!!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup::

The Fork is a curved Colnago fork, not the straight Precisa. I have no pictures of it available as it is now, i.e. without rust anymore, and shiny as on the first day, but you can see it by clicking the link to the first thread I started about this frame.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=1940917&mode=linear#post1940917

All I can say is that Buck-50 was right for the fork!

To Ride-fly: Thanks, yes, it will be in good company indeed! Can't wait either! Cranks, hubs, FD and bar should drop in this week. What are your three other top 5 frames ?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Rounding out my top five (for steel that is- as I have separate top five lists for Ti and Carbon :)) is De Rosa Neo Primato, Gios Compact Pro (but really like the Professional model) and a Mondonico Futura Leggero (which I just happened to pick up on CL).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ride-Fly said:
Rounding out my top five (for steel that is- as I have separate top five lists for Ti and Carbon :)) is De Rosa Neo Primato, Gios Compact Pro (but really like the Professional model) and a Mondonico Futura Leggero (which I just happened to pick up on CL).
Bravissimo for the Mondonico! I could have guessed for the De Rosa and Gios, but the Mondonico was a tougher call.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
beautiful bike

Good choice on components. I have an 85 Merckx in Molteni Orange and I built it up with Chorus 10 spd. It's my favorite ride and if it was DT shifting it probably wouldn't be.
Why 9 spd though? Do you already have some 9 spd parts ? If not, I suggest going 10 spd even if you hae to convert a 9 spd shifter. I found it easier to find 10 spd parts on eBay than 9 spd, which was my original idea. I have converted shifters, it was an $80 dollar gear upgrade. My 90 Merckx is 9 spd but it's an early model and not upgradeable. There is a small but noticeable difference in the shifting between the two.
Can I ask what the paint job ran? I had mine powdercoated because of the cost and also I figured the single Orange color was going to be easy to match. At first I considered the single Orange a compromise but I have grown to love it. (My 90 Merckx is Team Stuttgart colors)

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well, I already have 9 speed parts (Daytona RD and shifters, cassette), but I do not preclude going to 10 speed for the future. I just want to get it rolling asap, and I have no problem with 9 speed.

The paintjob was, in Euros, something like the equivalent of 400,- $ without shipping and tax. Was done in the Netherlands, so I do not know if it can compare to typical US prices.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
9 speed is nice

Well, if ya got it, use it. the difference is slight (in the shifters). Sounds similar regarding painting price for one color also.
tecnosabba said:
Well, I already have 9 speed parts (Daytona RD and shifters, cassette), but I do not preclude going to 10 speed for the future. I just want to get it rolling asap, and I have no problem with 9 speed.

The paintjob was, in Euros, something like the equivalent of 400,- $ without shipping and tax. Was done in the Netherlands, so I do not know if it can compare to typical US prices.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.