Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is at the beginning of what will be, in a few months, a restored Colnago Master. According to my not so accurate measurements, it is a 56 TT and a 55,5 ST, c-c in both cases.

The person I bought it from was not able to date the frame. Could anyone be of any help ? Rear drop out spacing is 130 mm.

It's a pity the frame and fork suffered so much from corrosion, but I am confident (i.e. I hope!) that the painter wil be able to handle the damage (BTW the BB area on one of the pics is not rusty, just dirty). I have an idea about the paintjob, which should basically be similar to the PR82 or PRZA schemes that Colnago offers currently, but with different colours. Orange with white panels would be my favourite, but a cream white with dark blue panels, maybe not very Italian, but yummy nonetheless...oh well, I'll post pics of the work in progress.

As for the build, I'll use Campagnolo parts lying around, a quill stem, handbuilt wheels, an old flite saddle, and that'd be it.

Hope to post pics soon.

A happy new year to all of you out there.

TS

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
+1 - that's not bad at all, and that fork will clean up with steel wool.

Orange with white panels is exactly how I got mine repainted- super classic.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very encouraging comments

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging replies.

Dave, the painter will probably be a Dutch company (I live in Luxembourg), called BCP www.specialpaintwork.nl.

From what I have seen, they seem to do a very good job. Especially their pictures of Gazelle restorations, for example

http://www.specialpaintwork.nl/fotos_full.asp?img=DSCN0802.gif&cat=gazelle

show what they are able to do.

Think I'll go with orange and white, if someone knows how to paint something orange, then it's the Dutch I guess...:D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/co...e-towns-and-trains-of-Switzerland-orange.html

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When was it built ?

zacolnago said:
you have any idea what year the frame is?
Thanks. You noticed then that mine too has only place for a single bottlecage. I do not know the age of the frame, but the right dropout has "H235" marked on it.

I'll post it on the Colnago forum as well, I suppose that someone there could be of help. When was yours built ? do you have any pictures of it ?

Best regards,
TS

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
takmanjapan said:
Estimate 1989-1990. Paint is similar to the Malvor team from 1989 and is not a Master Olympic as they had the decor paint.

takmanjapan
Thank you for the information, takmanjapan. I guess this is a good basis for further research (apart from dropping Colnago a line or two and asking the question right away :) .)

TS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nice!

Hello!
Extremely nice projekt frame.

The 1988-1989 is a very good guess
it is defenately a orginal small diameter tubed master (not later oversize one= master olympic)
but the curved fork makes me ques that it could be tad older.

I have a same kind of projekt going on.
I had my white master from 1988 re painted and i am equipping it with new campy stuff and wheels.
keeping only the deltas and the c-record headset.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rikardo said:
Hello!
Extremely nice projekt frame.

The 1988-1989 is a very good guess
it is defenately a orginal small diameter tubed master (not later oversize one= master olympic)
but the curved fork makes me ques that it could be tad older.

I have a same kind of projekt going on.
I had my white master from 1988 re painted and i am equipping it with new campy stuff and wheels.
keeping only the deltas and the c-record headset.
Thank you.

It would be nice to see your bike once it's finished.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.