Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have Colnago Dream Plus 59cm C-T, and 120mm stem. I am 183cm = a little more than 6ft high, 87.5cm inseam, 150 cm Body Height (to sternal notch). I have feeling that this frame is too big for me. I have a little longer upper legs and shorter arms than standard. So i need a little more than normal setback.
I am buying C50 and i am now opting for 57cm frame. Would it be better? Or maybe even smaller frame? I would like to stay by my stem.

Thanks for answers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
I just ordered a CT2 HP from Maestro-UK. When I first asked Mike for his advise I sent him my measurements and fit calcs from competitive cyclist. They suggested I go with a 59c-t. Mike agreed based on the measurements, but I sent him pictures of my current position too. He was disgusted with how bad it was. My seat was too high and too far forward, I was not using the most powerful muscle groups and I was too high.
So, he told me how to set up my current bike. We sent pictures back and forth until he was satified and then we took some measurements. He suggested a 56c-t with a 13cm stem. I'm about 6ft tall...
If you're going to drop $3000 on a C-50, get the perfect size. Get an expert opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for reply. BTW - who is Mike? Can I get his opinion too?
Then I should think about 56 Colnago frame too...?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
Frame

Duke_mb said:
Thanks for reply. BTW - who is Mike? Can I get his opinion too?
Then I should think about 56 Colnago frame too...?
All depends.I'm 6' too ride a 58 colnago and wouldn't even consider a 56, as the TT would be way short and I'd need a 140+ stem on it. Aren't they also available in odd sizes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
simple comparison (corrected)...

Duke_mb said:
I have Colnago Dream Plus 59cm C-T, and 120mm stem. I am 183cm = a little more than 6ft high, 87.5cm inseam, 150 cm Body Height (to sternal notch). I have feeling that this frame is too big for me. I have a little longer upper legs and shorter arms than standard. So i need a little more than normal setback.
I am buying C50 and i am now opting for 57cm frame. Would it be better? Or maybe even smaller frame? I would like to stay by my stem.

Thanks for answers.
If your inseam is measured accurately, it's 4.5cm greater than mine and you ride a frame that's 5-6cm larger than I do, so you're not far off.

When you get down to nitpicking 1cm increments, either size can be mde to fit the same. The new 2004 Colnagos have 7mm taller head tubes than previousl models, which will reduce the amount of steering tube spacers required (if you use them).

A 2004 58cm frame has only a 6mm shorter TT length, so if you want to continue using a 120mm stem, you will either have a shorter reach to the bars or you'll have to move the saddle back 6mm. You'll have 1cm more seatpost exposed and 2mm more spacer will be required under the stem. Colnago has a new headset with an extended top section that will increase the height of the bars with a better look, but I don't have info on the total stack height. Do these changes sound good or bad?

Comparing frames geometry is not rocket science. Since you alread ride a Colnago, it's simple to compare the change from one size to another.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
C-40 said:
If your inseam is measured accurately, it's 4.5cm greater than mine and you ride a frame that's 5-6cm larger than I do, so you're not far off.

When you get down to nitpicking 1cm increments, either size can be mde to fit the same. The new 2004 Colnagos have 7mm taller head tubes than previousl models, which will reduce the amount of steering tube spacers required (if you use them).

A 57cm frame has a 7mm shorter TT length, so if you want to continue using a 120mm stem, you will either have a shorter reach to the bars or you'll have to move the saddle back 7mm. You'll have 1cm more seatpost exposed and 3mm more spacer will be required under the stem. Colnago has a new headset with an extended top section that will increase the height of the bars with a better look, but I don't have info on the total stack height. Do these changes sound good or bad?

Comparing frames geometry is not rocket science. Since you alread ride a Colnago, it's simple to compare the change from one size to another.
Yes. I know the comparsion...
So what size would U recommend? 57cm would be good? 56cm would be too small?
Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,749 Posts
Get fitted by an expert..

I'm not in the market for a C50 (wish I was). However I went through getting sized for a Master X-Light two years ago. I messed around on the internet and was put on a 58 or a 59 depending on which measurement I went with (inseams can vary depending on who takes them). I'm 6-0 34.50 inseam, short torso (I forgot my measurement, I'm too lazy to look it up).

My LBS is an authorized Colnago dealer, one of the few in NorCal.
The owner did an inshop before hours fitting at my request. He put me on a 59 (56.9 tt) with a 100mm stem and 4cm of spacers. I have long legs and my saddle is jacked up pretty high (4" bar to saddle drop). If I had gone with a 58 I would have had to jack up my saddle higher, 110 stem, but the bar to saddle drop would have been too severe for me (Campy Chorus headset, Newton stem). He built the bike with the intention of having one of the spacers removed, and the the option of swapping out stems, but I feel comfortable with the way it was built, so I did not mess with it. The only thing I have messed with a lot is my saddle position, but that probably comes with all new bikes.

It pays to get fitted by someone who is familar with the Colnago geometry, and the important things is WHO takes the measurements.

Maybe if I was young and fexible I could ride a 58, but a lot of it depends on how you ride and how you like to set your bike up. We talked about this a lot before we ordered my frame.

I knew very little about how to get fitted, but I put my faith in someone who did.

Good luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
is there a problem to fix???

Duke_mb said:
Yes. I know the comparsion...
So what size would U recommend? 57cm would be good? 56cm would be too small?
Thanks!
The reason to change frame size is to fix a known problem, IMO. Is there something that you don't like about the 59cm? If you get the same size, just note that the head tube will be 7mm longer. It's rare for people to have a problem due to a head tube that's too long, but it should be noted.

Beyond that, you'd have to post some specifics, like what is the vertical distance from the top tube to the top of the saddle? I like 17-18cm.

How much steering tube spacer and stem rise to you have?

Without some hint about your setup, it't impossible to make a recommendation.
 

·
eminence grease
Joined
·
18,538 Posts
I'm just under 6 feet with a 33.5 cycling inseam. I have 2 Colnagos in size 57. Both with 120 stem. Once I get my saddle position (set fore/aft and height,) I end up with about 53.8cm from tip to bar (one of the metrics I use in setting up my bikes.) My best fitting bike, a non-Colnago comes in at about 54.5, with the same stem. Of course, I can make my Colnagos the same with a 130 stem, but next time, I'm buying either a 58 or a 59 and sticking with a 120. The thing I'm learning about myself is that I prefer a little more reach now than I did when I began riding.

My uneducated advice - a 57 is going to be too small for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,750 Posts
terry b said:
I'm just under 6 feet with a 33.5 cycling inseam. I have 2 Colnagos in size 57. Both with 120 stem. Once I get my saddle position (set fore/aft and height,) I end up with about 53.8cm from tip to bar (one of the metrics I use in setting up my bikes.) My best fitting bike, a non-Colnago comes in at about 54.5, with the same stem. Of course, I can make my Colnagos the same with a 130 stem, but next time, I'm buying either a 58 or a 59 and sticking with a 120. The thing I'm learning about myself is that I prefer a little more reach now than I did when I began riding.

My uneducated advice - a 57 is going to be too small for you.
I think so too for what it's worth. I am 6'2" and ride a 62cm MXL with a 110 stem and I wouldn't want it any smaller. I have a 60cm Bianchi that feels about the same size to me. I'm no big bike tweaker though. I go to a good LBS and trust them and once I'm dialed in I rarely adjust anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Mike is the owner of the www.Maestro-UK.com bike shop. He has great prices on Colnagos. Anyway...I don't know what size you would need. It depends on your inseam, arm length, other measurements and flexibility. I told him that I wanted a classic European road racing position and we went from there...He had no interest in measurements and formulas. But my new position is a big improvement. I can stay in the drops longer, I'm lower, and I can put more power to the pedals.

Mike has been setting up bikes for years. If you take time to notice, there are quite a few reviews and postings from guys who bought there bikes from him. Check out the Colnago reviews and the Colnago discussion forums. For a good look at how Colnagos are sized take a look at the Bikesportmichigan.com review of the Colnago Dream.

I don't think that you can figure out your size simply by inseam length. I think the right measurement to pay attention to is top tube length.
 

·
You talking to me?
Joined
·
736 Posts
First things first

Duke_mb said:
I have Colnago Dream Plus 59cm C-T, and 120mm stem. I am 183cm = a little more than 6ft high, 87.5cm inseam, 150 cm Body Height (to sternal notch). I have feeling that this frame is too big for me. I have a little longer upper legs and shorter arms than standard. So i need a little more than normal setback.
I am buying C50 and i am now opting for 57cm frame. Would it be better? Or maybe even smaller frame? I would like to stay by my stem.

Thanks for answers.
You need to be more specific when you say "I have a feeling the frame is too big for me". As C40 said, the reason to change frame sizes to correct a problem on your current frame. So what exactly is it that makes you think the frame is too big?

Not knowing what problems / discomfort you are experiencing I could only guess at appropriate size. If I were to do just that, I would guess 58cm with a shorter stem. A 56cm frame sounds WAY too small (unless you want a 6" saddle to bar drop). The 57cm may be fine as well, but you will need 1.5cm more spacers to maintain the same saddle to bar drop you currently have. Even with the 58cm frame you'll need 0.8cm more spacers to maintain status quo.

FWIW - I am just shy of 6' and have a cycling inseam of about 85.5cm. I ride a 57cm C40 with a 120mm stem and 2 cm spacers. I feel that I could easily ride a 58cm. I wouldn't consider a 56cm at all for myself.

Bryan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem is not heat-tube. It is top-tube.... When I am riding 59 frame with 120mm-stem, I have a feeling that levers - (hoods?) are too far away for comftable riding. I feel it much more comfortable when I hold handlebar on the first bend (near stem).
I hope U understand me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
More specific about my problem:
My problem is not heat-tube. It is top-tube.... When I am riding 59 frame with 120mm-stem, I have a feeling that levers - (hoods?) are too far away for comftable riding. I feel it much more comfortable when I hold handlebar on the first bend (near stem).
I hope U understand me.

But I have already 1.5cm spacers on headtube and about 20cm (haven't measured yet... - exact size in 10 hours..) from seat to frame, on 59cm frame..... so - smaller frame 58 or 57 with even more spacers and even longer seatpost. Is this right?
 

·
DonRacer
Joined
·
63 Posts
Before you plunk down the cash...

...on a new frame you might want to try a few things on your present bike. If your saddle setback feels fine but you think your reach is too long, you could try a shorter stem. Going to a 110mm or 100mm might fix your problem. If you are already using 15mm of spacers, I wouldn't go to a frame with a shorter headtube. Another thing that people often neglect is that different bars have different reach and lever placement. If you feel stretched out on the hoods but fine in the drops, you might want to play with lever positioning.

FWIW, I am 183cm tall, 88cm inseam, don't own a Colnago, but based on the published geometries I would get a 59, most likely with a 110 stem, or if I wanted a slightly more radical drop a 58 with a 120.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,160 Posts
well duh...

Gee, either get the 58cm which has a shorter TT, but nearly the same length head tube or get a 110mm stem (or both). Seems like a no-brainer to me. Nothing sacred about a 120mm stem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
CDanRun said:
Mike is the owner of the www.Maestro-UK.com bike shop. He has great prices on Colnagos. Anyway...I don't know what size you would need. It depends on your inseam, arm length, other measurements and flexibility. I told him that I wanted a classic European road racing position and we went from there...He had no interest in measurements and formulas. But my new position is a big improvement. I can stay in the drops longer, I'm lower, and I can put more power to the pedals.

Mike has been setting up bikes for years. If you take time to notice, there are quite a few reviews and postings from guys who bought there bikes from him. Check out the Colnago reviews and the Colnago discussion forums. For a good look at how Colnagos are sized take a look at the Bikesportmichigan.com review of the Colnago Dream.

I don't think that you can figure out your size simply by inseam length. I think the right measurement to pay attention to is top tube length.
How many spacers do U have on your bike now on your 56 bike when U are about 6ft tall?

Any yes... I have read article about Dream before. That's why I am asking so many things.
There were some things in article about Colnago:
- get smaller frame than nomal for U
- get long stem (around 130)
- have a setback seatpost

That is why I would like to try something other than just a smaller stem (110) or maybe frame 58.
But I am scared about huge number of spacers... :confused:

Thanks!
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top