Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A known fact about Colnago frame sizing is that you can't assume a 54cm Trek will fit the same way as a 54cm Colnago. What's the general rule of thumb for purchasing a Colnago frame... Do you get a larger or smaller frame based on your current frame size? Or are there other guidelines that need to be factored in?

Abaddon

·
aka Zonic Man
593 Posts
Look at the fitting chart and go that direction. The one on TrialTir-USA's website and other web-retailers' websites are very useful.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Comparison

Go by the tiop tube length, the seat tube is usually 2cm or so less (when measured comventionally)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Like C50 said, size by TT length. The beauty of Colnago is that they make frames in 1 cm increments so finding the right size is pretty easy and you don't need to go custom to get a good fit.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Does the fork rake and head tube angle matter?

I normally ride a 56 cm top tube. However, I know that the head tube angle and fork rake are more slack. Do you all think that I would go with a shorter TT length, like 55?

I've got the Colnago itch. Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Stem??

What stem length do you normally use, and is it parallel to the ground or tilted up??

I find my 54cm Colnagos handle best with 130 to 120 stem's, parallel to the ground. Factor that in with your top tube length. I wouldn't go less than 100 if possible.

·
Registered
363 Posts
C50

I currently ride a 56cm Moots Vamoots with a 110 stem, 3T Less. The Moots has a 56.3 TT. So just doing to the math, I'd be moving to a 120 - 130, depending on the stack height.

With the slacker head tube angles, I think that would work but I've never ridden one. Unfortunately, find one to test ride where I live is tough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts