Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought on EBay for $450, NOS. Replacement for my Corrado custom which I totaled in December and the temporary Al cheapo Coppi.

DA 9 spd running gear w/Ultegra BB
ITM MIllenium post & stem
ITM 260 strada bend bars
Time Impact pedals

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BB shell detail

Cloverleaf stamp and small chain stay bridge

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Head tube & fork crown

Two shots of the head tube, lugs and fork crown. Internal routing of the rear cable sized so that the entire housing goes through rather than just the cable. Doesn't seem to add much more friction and similar to set ups I used in the 70's and 80's before split braze-ons got popular.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Horizonatal drop outs

I haven't ridden a bike with these since 1998. I've also forgotten the good and the bad. Infinite adjustment of the cluster to chainline alignment. The bad, you need to find QR skewers which will bite into the chromed, forged drop out. Those Ultegra bits with their plastic on one side didn't do the trick as the paint on the inside of one chain stay already attests after the maiden ride!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Neat lug design

The lug joining the chainstay end to the drop out includes the stop for the rear derailleur cable, a neat piece of casting.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seat tube cluster

Trademark of the original Tecnos was the C and cloverleaf cutout in the seat stay lug. Kind of weird building this one up after Tig'd steel, Al, Ti and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First impressions

This is the driver's view of things. The little man design, popular with AD and LX schemes.

Wow, after changing out the straight guage Al Coppi, this ride was quite different. It had a lively feeling that even my SAT 14.5 steel custom was missing. Maybe having the steel fork made the difference.

Still sorting out the position and height of the saddle and then will deal with the bar height. Interestingly, the Tecnos is the same size as my C-40 but some of the dimensions, including the head tube size are different so the 5mm of additional spacers may stay. We shall see.

First steel fork I've been on in over 5 years as well. Great feeling but after cutting the steerer yesterday, even that small piece was heavy. Bike feels fairly light although I've never weighed any of my bikes over the years.

I've dumped the Ultegra skewer, putting on a Mavic, mounted lights front and back for tomorrow's daily early AM run. Weather's improving so the timing was good.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,283 Posts
Classic. Chiseled. The Pierce Brosnan of bikes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
What a wonderful looking bike.....I have a solid blue C96 with chrome fork....they just look so much beter than all the multicoloured things you get these days. I always fancied having a Technos!!

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Missed you

Ce Cinquanta said:
Looked very nice in Richmond Park this lunchtime Boneman. :D

CC (behind you on a C50)
A bit breezy for my taste today although the temperature and sun were nice to have.

Supposed to piss down tomorrow. Might have to forget about the lie in and get out earlier.

What paint scheme's your C-50?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
boneman said:
A bit breezy for my taste today although the temperature and sun were nice to have.

Supposed to piss down tomorrow. Might have to forget about the lie in and get out earlier.

What paint scheme's your C-50?
Red (PR11). First time I've been out on it. I was behind you coming down that hill with the tailwind and you turned left at the roundabout. I got about six laps in and then copped out.

I think it's going to be even windier tomorrow...

CC

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Next time I'll say hello

Ce Cinquanta said:
Red (PR11). First time I've been out on it. I was behind you coming down that hill with the tailwind and you turned left at the roundabout. I got about six laps in and then copped out.

I think it's going to be even windier tomorrow...

CC
I knew there was someone behind me going downwind but for me, it's a rare luxury getting the 15 or 14 going at the rate of knots. I headed off towards Kew before heading back home. Short one today. Gusting winds and wet tend to dampen my enthusiasm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
steel is real especially tasty Italian steel. You got very lucky there looks a classic bet it shines nice in the sun with all the chrome!

·
Registered
213 Posts
boneman said:
Bought on EBay for $450, NOS. Replacement for my Corrado custom which I totaled in December and the temporary Al cheapo Coppi.

DA 9 spd running gear w/Ultegra BB
ITM MIllenium post & stem
ITM 260 strada bend bars
Time Impact pedals
$450 for a complete Tecnos? Wow

I just paid $440 for a Tecnos F/F with some TT parts on it.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just the F/F

I'd really be lucky. No, the running gear came off the Corrado which I had rebuilt by the framebuilder before I left London.

lewdvig said:
$450 for a complete Tecnos? Wow

I just paid $440 for a Tecnos F/F with some TT parts on it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have not taken delivery of mine yet - can't wait! It should be here this week. The rest of the parts are here. I may keep it in the TT setup - not sure yet.

I hope mine have the Gilco type tubes like yours - very sweet!

Thanks for posting the pix!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts