Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll try to get a photo up soon....in the mean time: which Colnago Ti model had tear drop top tube and down tube? The frame has been been repainted so there is no original id.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Titanio

Titanio/OvalMaster. Both had a profile top tube, ala Master/C40 and a teardrop downtube. OvalMaster's DT was deeper in the vertical cross-section than the Titanio. Circa 1998-2003.


merckxman said:
I'll try to get a photo up soon....in the mean time: which Colnago Ti model had tear drop top tube and down tube? The frame has been been repainted so there is no original id.
 

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calling Boneman

Here are photos. Took it for a short test drive and it was a nice ride. Will go back to do some climbing and descending. Can you tell exactly what model it is from these photos? It's been re-painted Ferrari red.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Is it really a Colnago?

Merckxman,

Personally I'm not sure that it is a Colnago.

It definitely has what appears to be a Colnago steel fork on it, but none of the Oval Masters that I am aware of have a top tube shaped like that. Each of the Oval Masters that I have seen have a diamond (?) shaped top tube like you find on a Master or C40. None of the other Ti Colnagos that I am aware of (BiTitan,MonoTitan, or CT series) has a top tube shaped like that either.

I could be wrong here, but it looks like a "decal special" to me.

Cheers,

Texbike
 

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's why I was asking; I hadn't seen one like it before. I've seen the round top tubes, the diamond top tubes but this was new to me...

That hole in the dropout is very Colnago-ish, I believe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Hole in the drop out.....

merckxman said:
That hole in the dropout is very Colnago-ish, I believe.
Hmmmmm. Good point. My MonoTitan has the exact same hole in the drop outs.

Anyone else have a guess to what this is?

Texbike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Not Ti

As everyone has noted, the top tube on the Ti models has been either round or gilco shaped. Some of Colnago's earlier Al frames used a tear drop down tube but I don't recall seeing one with that aggressively shaped top tube. Mega Masters was their name. The brake bridge have any embossing on it? My gut tells me it's not for real.

merckxman said:
Here are photos. Took it for a short test drive and it was a nice ride. Will go back to do some climbing and descending. Can you tell exactly what model it is from these photos? It's been re-painted Ferrari red.
 

·
merckxman
Joined
·
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. I'll go back and take a closer look at the brake bridge and BB. Maybe get in touch with the owner who has it on consignment at the shop.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top