Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Colnago Classic has cracked, and I am going to buy a new MasterXLight as a replacement. I am trying to save some money, and so would like to move all the components (plus maybe even the carbon fork) from the Classic to the MasterXLight. I am a little bit concerned that some of the sizing is different (e.g., BB, head tube, seat tube), and that this is not going to work.

The Classic has Campy Veloce 9 speed with a Colnago street carbon fork. I don't have precise measures on the frame because it's in Italy being fixed (but photo is attached).

Can anybody tell me whether they think the switch is going to work or not? Alternatively, I'd be happy to hear what kinds of things I should look out for.

This is my first post, so please pardon any ignorance in my question--and thanks for any help.

DM

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
As long as you don't use downtube shifters, everything should move over fine. The current MXL does not have shifter bosses on the downtube, just cable stops. You should also check on the BB size/threading. Colnago is slowly changing over to 68/English from 70/Italian this year. If the new MXL you get has English, just a new BB will be required.

Everything else will just slide over!

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
you have the old components, right? can't you look at/measure those, and see what will work? at least for BB, SP, front der mount, steerer dia

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info and ideas. I'm going to pull the trigger on the MXL since the risk looks pretty low.

BTW, I can't easily measure the parts--it's another long story involving some truly dumb moves on my part. Even if I could, I would probably not really know what I was looking at. Plus I don't have calipers.

Anyway, I think I'm set for now. I hope at some point I'll be able to answer someone else's questions...

DM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks--it did me good for a while. A pic of the damage is attached.

The frame is with Colnago somewhere in Italy.

DM

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I remember about a Master X-Light cracking before on this forum (I have an '02). Frame was sent to the Colnago factory, repaired and repainted. I think it took about three months.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This story has a crazy ending. Turns out that the original crack (i.e., three or four years ago) was "repaired" by soldering (!). In other words, it was not really repaired. With a push from the great Tom Schouten (http://www.tomschouten.nl/), this crack (which I thought was a new one) was properly repaired: the broken part of the frame was cut out, replaced, the new part welded and painted, and the whole thing returned and looking good. I have put in lots of miles on this bike since getting it back. Still rides great.

I think I will never know why Colnago figured it was a good idea to try to repair such as nasty crack with a soldering job.

Thanks again for all the help and advice from this forum.

DM

1 - 8 of 8 Posts