Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Doesn't like subtitles
3,784 Posts
I think B-stay without HP chainstays would put it around ‘99-‘00. Just going off foggy memory though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! Another thing I found was the word "Fizz" engraved in white on the seat post collar.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
I own a 2001 C-40. That was the first year they did the b-stay. The b-stay with HP (holey) chain stays came in 2003. The C-50 in 2004 (also with HP chain stays). That bike is a 2001 or 2002. I've got the OOF paint job. I recently had it re-sanded and clear coated and put modern components on it (Campy Chorus). Nice riding bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I own a 2001 C-40. That was the first year they did the b-stay. The b-stay with HP (holey) chain stays came in 2003. The C-50 in 2004 (also with HP chain stays). That bike is a 2001 or 2002. I've got the OOF paint job. I recently had it re-sanded and clear coated and put modern components on it (Campy Chorus). Nice riding bike.
So how do you determine what the paint job is?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Mine is the black OOF. My wife got an LX-14. We ordered them on our honeymoon -- part was spent on a bike tour in Tuscany. I think yours is an LX-23. That catalogue takes me back ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine is the black OOF. My wife got an LX-14. We ordered them on our honeymoon -- part was spent on a bike tour in Tuscany. I think yours is an LX-23. That catalogue takes me back ...

Thank you sooo much!

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Thank you sooo much!
That's dura ace 7700 which was what was on my bike when I built it up. Its a really good group. I rode a lot of miles for almost a decade on that group. The cranks on your bike are not dura ace 7700. They were polished aluminum and didn't wear very well. The clear coat wore off and they looked like hell after a while. Still worked fine though. Yours look like carbon, probably FSA. I put them on a couple of my bikes back then.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's dura ace 7700 which was what was on my bike when I built it up. Its a really good group. I rode a lot of miles for almost a decade on that group. The cranks on your bike are not dura ace 7700. They were polished aluminum and didn't wear very well. The clear coat wore off and they looked like hell after a while. Still worked fine though. Yours look like carbon, probably FSA. I put them on a couple of my bikes back then.
Yep, big wear spot near the spindle on the crank. Weird foot position?

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Yep, big wear spot near the spindle on the crank. Weird foot position?
No, it just happens from use. On my Campy aluminum cranks, the decals wear off. On the 7700 Shimano ones, the clear coat wore off and they took on this chicken pock marked look. Like the thing had acne. Looks like that bike hasn't seen much use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, it just happens from use. On my Campy aluminum cranks, the decals wear off. On the 7700 Shimano ones, the clear coat wore off and they took on this chicken pock marked look. Like the thing had acne. Looks like that bike hasn't seen much use.
I'm thinking it may have been someone's race bike for a couple of years. With that "Fizz" engraved on the seat post collar....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
👍😉. I'd bet if I could find some pro racers from the late 90's, they might know.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
👍😉. I'd bet if I could find some pro racers from the late 90's, they might know.
I bet not. Most pro and wannabe pro racers paint their names on the top tube -- not the seat post collar. How tiny are those letters? And that's a consumer paint job, not a team theme. Lastly, if it were someone's race bike for several years, then it sure didn't get raced much because it looks too good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Super small, Jazz, maybe a bit bigger, #30 font. Yeah, it's different for sure. Real close to Rabobank but not quite. Whoever had it last even put lithium grease on the bottle cage screws, thought I was the only one that did that. 😉

1 - 19 of 19 Posts