Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Ok, so a black stem and silver seat post is a guarantee of crucifixion. What else ? I mean, how does one go about selecting black components over silver ? All one, and none of the other ? Little here, little there ?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Steve-H said:
All,
Ok, so a black stem and silver seat post is a guarantee of crucifixion. What else ? I mean, how does one go about selecting black components over silver ? All one, and none of the other ? Little here, little there ?
Totally personal taste. But good luck finding anything but old-school in silver anymore. A few people make silver seatposts, but almost nobody makes new bars or threadless stems in silver these days.

My bike's classic-looking, so I wanted all silver components, and I finally had to pay through the nose to buy one of those Nitto stems some guy sells on Ebay. Overpriced and a little heavier than some, but a VERY nice piece. For bars I had to get some NOS old-school bars from Nashbar. Don't like them much, actually, so I may have to bite the bullet and get newer ones in black.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Do what makes you happy.

Why ask a bunch of posers on the internet what is going to look good on your bike?

BTW I say go for orange and green; the brighter the better.

·
Registered
216 Posts
MB1 said:
Why ask a bunch of posers on the internet what is going to look good on your bike?

BTW I say go for orange and green; the brighter the better.

Agreed. My road bike is a purple to a platinum fade. Not many people like the colors but I love it. Who cares what others think. Put the components you like, whatever color you like, on your bike. Impress fellow riders with your riding ability not how color coordinated your bike is.

On a side note, my mountain bike has a white frame, black seatpost, and a red anodized stem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Steve-H said:
I mean, how does one go about selecting black components over silver ?
Select what you like the looks of.

When I was choosing components, I already had a wheelset with silver hubs, rims, and spokes. I chose Sugino XD cranks, which are silver. Once I got there I decided that the bike would look better with all silver components. Derailleurs, brake levers, brakes, headset - no problem. I wanted to use a seatpost that I already had, but it was black. All the cheap threadless stems and all the cheap bars are black. I took the black anodizing off the seatpost and stem with lye because I wanted to be cheap. I left the bars black because I wrapped them black to match the saddle so the black bars aren't noticable. Whatever floats your boat!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.