Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
214 Posts
you're right. asian frame.

notice the 2 yr. warranty... how long would you keep it. if it's more than 2 years then get a frame that will have a better warranty. it's a bit overpriced, too. $1500 for a frame/fork that they're probably paying $500 for the frame and $100 for the fork. they'll have a big margin to cover any potential returns of the frame.

· Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, Asia

I agree its probably put together in Asia. I was interested because Colorado Cyclist Douglas series bikes have a good rep, especially the Fusion model.

If anyone has been able to ride this frame, chime in.

· Registered
464 Posts
Package price good

The Douglas caught my eye because my name is ...Douglas! The built up price seems good and the no tax thing helps make it a deal. What are some of these $1200 carbon frames and what length of warrenty do they have?

· Registered
74 Posts
Not sure about this year's frames, but the Douglas line of Ti frames used to be made my Titanium Sports Technology, or at least that's what their sales reps told me. If you want an old Litespeed, get ExcelSports' Macalu. It's the same thing as the old Arenberg.

TB

· Banned
476 Posts
seems to me

the frame is certainly fine - like a Felt carbon fiber; or any other made in taiwan

but for $1500 you should be able to get an entire bike with a carbon fiber frame
in fact - no reason there shouldnt be Ultegra level bikes with carbon frames for $1500 or $1600

· Bluebiker
88 Posts
CC Carbon bike

I've been into the shop a few times. I'm told its made by the same company that makes Scott Bikes, which is Topeak. It looks very similar in most regards, fair bit heavier though. IMO, more than the 1050g they list. Pricewise for a frameset I don't think its a great deal, but the Ultegra/Dura Ace bike prices are competitive.

· Banned
3,317 Posts
If the price for that frame is $1500, it's a joke.
They're paying maybe $350-400 for the frame and less than a hundred for the fork.

For a 2 year warranty?!?

Look at LeopardCycles.com. They get their frames from Trigon and they charge less.
I think it's foolish to pay that much for that frame.

· Banned
476 Posts
Topeak

blbike said:
I've been into the shop a few times. I'm told its made by the same company that makes Scott Bikes, which is Topeak. It looks very similar in most regards, fair bit heavier though. IMO, more than the 1050g they list. Pricewise for a frameset I don't think its a great deal, but the Ultegra/Dura Ace bike prices are competitive.

If it is Topeak, it is my understanding they also make Specialized, Fuji, and Cannondale -- but all in China

I think they should tell you if it is made in Taiwan or China -- in case you prefer to buy from one over the other

· iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
FondriestFan said:
Look at LeopardCycles.com. They get their frames from Trigon and they charge less.
I think it's foolish to pay that much for that frame.
1499.99 is less than 1500.00, but not by much. I am not a CC fan , I went by when I lived in Colorado and they were very arrogant. I prefered Excel (I still order from them).

What makes Leopard better? Not trying to be a smart azz, I am looking for a new frame and was thinking about a LOOK 555.

· Registered
12 Posts
Get a Fuji - They have a LIFETIME Warrenty on frame and fork.

collectorvelo said:
If it is Topeak, it is my understanding they also make Specialized, Fuji, and Cannondale -- but all in China

I think they should tell you if it is made in Taiwan or China -- in case you prefer to buy from one over the other
They are actually made in Taiwan, and come out of the same place as the Scott's (and Giant's?).

· Registered
376 Posts
Regardless of price, the 2 year warranty should scare you

Even with D/A or Ultegra, you are paying a lot for a frame if it cracks after 2 years. And, if you are thinking of not keeping it that long you should seriously consider resale value of the house brand. Hey, this may be one of the best built and strongest framesets out there, but if it is why aren't they offering a longer warranty?

They may have changed since I sold my Trek 5200, but it had a lifetime warranty on the frameset. I know of two riders who had an issue and got a complete new frameset from Trek. Lot's of other builders offer the same. (I ride a Seven, and it has a lifetime warranty).

· Registered
8,116 Posts
I believe that is the same frameset that is usually rebranded by shops in these parts-- actually a very nice frameset. I have seen it under all sorts of badges.

My Look with a 2 year warrany is going well after 10,000+ miles.

Don't kid yourself about warrantys: "manufacturer's defects" means exactly that. What defects suddenly show up after 2 years? If you are looking for a crash protection plan, that is a different story. Will Trek cover a bike that falls off your roof rack? Or that you crack up in a race? Most true warranties do not cover such incidents.

Still-- it is expensive for an unbranded framset. I wouldn't pay that kind of money for it.

· Registered
214 Posts
chrispf007 said:
They are actually made in Taiwan, and come out of the same place as the Scott's (and Giant's?).

i doubt they come from the same factory as giant....as giant makes their own bike carbon bikes. and I know that scotts are not made by giant. back in the day, before giant was making their own bikes they made them for other companies on contract and they were referred to as the giant factory because they were so huge compared to everyone else. when they decided to have their own brand they just chose giant because everyone was already calling them that.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.