Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of ordering custom-built wheels from Colorado Cyclist, a company I haven't used before. I contacted them early this week with some questions but have yet to hear back from them. Have any of you had any luck -- good or bad -- with them? Do they do a good job with their wheels, both higher and lower end? Do they stand behind their work? Etc. Thanks!

· Registered
21,834 Posts
Good reputation

wizroadie said:
I'm thinking of ordering custom-built wheels from Colorado Cyclist, a company I haven't used before. I contacted them early this week with some questions but have yet to hear back from them. Have any of you had any luck -- good or bad -- with them? Do they do a good job with their wheels, both higher and lower end? Do they stand behind their work? Etc. Thanks!
CC has a good reputation. Perhaps not quite up with some of the "name" builders, but good reports all around for CC.

· Registered
475 Posts
good wheels for me

wizroadie said:
I just ordered some king open pro wheels from them earlyer this month, don't have much ride time on them yet, but they are quite light, but not super light, I just went for regular 14/15 db spokes and alloy nipples, no revolutions, or fancy lighter spokes, but they are much lighter then the deep road v rims with rx 100 shimano hubs and db spokes I was using on my cross bike as road wheels before, close to or a little more than a pound lighter, very noticable, I thought my custom steel cross bike had a possibly flexy frame, but most of it was just the heavy wheels, I discouvered on my first ride. Sprints great now and I am sure once I get some climbing done I will notice a difference there also. My build came to about $619 including shipping and velox rim strips, they were very helpful and also anwsered my questions about revolution spokes, decided against them cause of my #170 weight, cost and durability. They also had several king colors in stock, not just black and silver, I went for peweter. I also have a friend with some dt 240 and mavic mountain wheels on his cannondale ht and has had great luck and he's about #250, much bigger then me. I have also had good luck with excel sports, though my specific build was a little cheaper then a similar build through excel. I e-mailed joe young and a fancy dt 240 and dt rims with some fancy spokes with a sub 1500g weight would've been $700 before shipping and rimstrips.

· Registered
220 Posts
They're great...

... I'm suprised you haven't heard back from them- I got a quick response from them via e-mail (next day) and had a lengthy and helpful conversation on the phone before making my final choice. The turn around time was quick (2 days not including the shipping) and the price undercut Excel (perhaps their main competitor) by about $40. I chose Record hubs on CXP-33s with a mix of 15/16 and 14/15 spokes and brass nips all around. $415 including shipping. I'm thrilled with them- give 'em a call!

-Keith

· Registered
133 Posts
i have a set

of dura ace hubs, cd open pros, 32 3x silver revs silver alloy nips from them and
have 1000 miles on them never had to touch em. they are for sale if intersted,
just picked up some ksyrium es's.

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
I used both CC and Speedgoat to build custom wheels. The CC wheels were fine, no problems. The Speedgoat built wheels were actually more fun to order. Speedgoat has custom wheel builder software on their site that allows you to swap out parts and see what the changes do to cost and weight. Not sure it really mattered, but it was fun to use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.