Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out about this. A three day stage race in August. From the website at coloradostagebike.com:

"PROFESSIONAL CYCLING returns to the Rocky Mountains with the 2008 Colorado Stage International Cycle Classic, taking place August 22-24 in and around the Vail Valley. National and international level Pro-Tour, Pro-Continental and Continental teams will go head-to-head in this UCI 2.1 certified competition."

The first stage is Breckenridge to Beaver Creek, the hard way. South over Hoosier Pass, down through South Park, over Trout Creek Pass to Buena Vista, up to Leadville(this is a really deceptive 3000 foot climb), then over Tennessee Pass and on to Beaver Creek, where they finish up a long climb to the base of the ski area. This, my friends, is a tough course. "Only" 11,000 feet of climbing in 135 miles, but man, the wind and altitude are big factors on this route.

The second day is a circuit race around Vail, and the third is the classic hillclimb TT up Vail Pass.

It will be interesting to see who shows up. The time gaps the first day will be so huge that the second day and the TT are likely to be a formality for most.

· Registered
2 Posts
Actually I would plan your vacation now! I live up in Vail and have friends that work for the organizing company. It's a big outfit that does the world cup ski races up here. They just launched the full website...I was looking at it earlier today.... www.coloradostagebike.com

They also have partnered with Medalist sports (who puts on Tour of California, Tour of Missouri, and Tour de Georgia). So bottom line.... it's happening!

They also have just posted a few of the teams....looks like High Road is in as well as Slipstream!

· la dolce vita
2,316 Posts
If this event is successful, I wonder if we'll eventually see a 4th big domestic tour evolve to go with CA, GA and MO? Colorado is so cycling crazy its a shame to not have a big event here. I'll be behind it all the way.

· Registered
2 Posts
Looks like they posted some of the teams....pretty good field so far: High Road, Slipstream, Toyota-United, BMC, Bissel, Colovita, Jittery Joe's, and Tecos.

I wonder if Rock Racing will be there. Since Medalist is involved I wonder if they will get shut out (kinda like they were going to do with TdG but then allowed them in)?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.