Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I'm moving to Grand Junction soon. This means I need smaller gears to get my beer belly up and over the hills out there. I do most of my riding on my cyclocross bike. It should be relatively simple to swap out my cyclocross double for a triple, right. I'd need to buy new shifters, right? Any complications with mating a new 105 triple crank and shifters with a 7 speed XT MTB rear der.?

·
Springscylist
18 Posts
Hills?

In a short time you will be calling those hills, mountains. It would be much easier to put a bigger low end gear on the rear. For every extra tooth on the back you get about a 3% gain, every tooth on the front about 2%. With a 48 tooth front big chain ring I have 34 tooth rear, (with a short arm derailleur) and have use of all the gears (11/34) on the 38 tooth front small chainring. You could get away with more range by setting the chain length long and not having use of the small front, small rear combination or going to a 12 or 13 tooth small gear on the rear. The 38T /34T is nearly the same gain as a normal triple 30 tooth front with a 25 tooth rear. Changing to a triple involves new derailleurs, bottom bracket and shifters very costly and time consuming.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply, I already have a MTB cassette on the X-bike, but did consider going to a mega cassette - I thought the triple would give me more gearing options - maybe I should just buy a new bike ;)

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
maybe you won't need it.

What's your lowest gear combo now? And where are you moving from? Maybe you're in better shape than you think, and won't need to change anything.:) Well, you can dream, can't you?

·
Racial Profiler
348 Posts
Grand Junction

Isn't really in the mountains.

It's got hills, but you are a long way from any serious climbing... except Grand Mesa, but that is pretty far out of the way.

If you do decide to get a new bike, go talk to the peeps in Over the Edge sports. They have their fingers on the pulse of cycling in that area, and are pretty much responsible for the entire network of trails in Fruita. They just opened up a branch shop in GJ.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
wasserbox said:
Isn't really in the mountains.

It's got hills, but you are a long way from any serious climbing... except Grand Mesa, but that is pretty far out of the way.
Brings back memories of RTR last year. 98 degrees climbing Grand Mesa...that's a bi*ch of a climb--at least for me. Not so steep, but unrelenting.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JCavilia said:
What's your lowest gear combo now? And where are you moving from? Maybe you're in better shape than you think, and won't need to change anything.:) Well, you can dream, can't you?

36x30, but I'm a long way from being in shape - moving from New Jersey

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
maddog said:
36x30, but I'm a long way from being in shape - moving from New Jersey
you'll be fine with that gearing...anything more and you might as well walk it. My low right now is a 39x27 and I get up anything around here--I stand if it gets too steep.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts