Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting some colored spokes, but have not been able to find what I need. I would like yellow, but pretty much any color other than black or silver will be acceptable. I have found some forged powdercoated ones from Primo, but they only come in lengths long enough for BMX stuff. KHS has some spoke that has a white coating on it for vibration dampening, but again, only BMX lengths.

I dont think getting some standard DT swiss spokes powdercoated would work. Would the build up of the powder coat might be too much for them to fit through the hub? Maybe try using 15ga instead of 14ga? I dont know much about anodizing, so does anyone think it would be feasable for me to get my own spokes anodized/powdercoated at some shop that does painting/finishing work? Has anyone else tried this?

i have seen some ano spokes from Industry Nine, but they are only for their own wheelsets. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
FSRslug said:
I'm looking at getting some colored spokes, but have not been able to find what I need. I would like yellow, but pretty much any color other than black or silver will be acceptable. I have found some forged powdercoated ones from Primo, but they only come in lengths long enough for BMX stuff. KHS has some spoke that has a white coating on it for vibration dampening, but again, only BMX lengths.
You can get Pillar Ti spokes in all sorts of colors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alienator said:
You can get Pillar Ti spokes in all sorts of colors.
Any idea where they are available, or who is a distributor? Are they a solid color or the ti-dye? I have ti-dye Ti spokes, but am looking for a solid color.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Or,, you could take a rattle can, give the wheel a good hard spin, and and spray right into the spining spokes.....

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
FSRslug said:
Any idea where they are available, or who is a distributor? Are they a solid color or the ti-dye? I have ti-dye Ti spokes, but am looking for a solid color.
PM Ligero and ask. He's buildin' with 'em. Or you can go to his webpage and email him.

·
Registered
838 Posts
FSRslug said:
The Pillar ti spokes are available in gold, light blue, dark blue, purple, fuschia, green and tye die. I have light blue and will be getting some more in maybe gold but mostly I will be stocking silver.

Here is pictures of the light blue ones.

·
Banned
2,767 Posts
Ligero uses the tie die spokes as stir sticks on his hourly journey to Margaritaville. They consume less energy than the heavier stainless spokes mixing drinks.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
FSRslug said:
I dont think getting some standard DT swiss spokes powdercoated would work. Would the build up of the powder coat might be too much for them to fit through the hub?
You could get butted spokes and mask all but the thin part in the middle. At any rate you *don't* want paint on the threads or elbow. I think the coolest way to go would be to paint aero spokes that way, like CX-rays. Paint is heavy, though...

For maybe a better option, you could find out what they are using to make SS spokes black, and see if other colors are possible with the same treatment... then find a place that can do it.

Or maybe PVD will work... I found this with a quick google search:

"The process of PVD coating ( Physical Vapor Deposition of titanium or zirconium ) is used to manufacture Ornamental and Decorative Steel. It provides a colored film over the stainless steel substrate in a vacuum chamber. The film also has fine conductibility and self-lubricating capability with rich colors available from light to dark such as brass, gold, rose-gold, copper, smoke-gray, dark-gray and dark, over natural polished stainless steel finishes. The PVD coating process can be treated on stainless steel substrate of common sizes eg. 4'X8' (1219X2438mm ), 4'X10' (1219X3048mm) or other specified sizes. The colored PVD coated ( Ti/Zr-plated ) sheets is widely used in many applications such as elevator cabin, doors, frames, columns and wall panel, etc. The PVD coating process provides much better results compared to polishing. In Polishing, the material is polished with some chemical, etc to give it the required finish like the mirror finish, hair line finish, etc. The polishing process is much more complex then PVD coating as getting a uniform polish through out is a though task"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts