Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so I've got the wheel building bug again.

I have run my own wheels for quite some time on the mountain bike and had my own on my previous cross/commuter rig. When I went to Campy on my Cervelo, I picked up a set of Zondas as I wasn't prepared to do a full build then. Well, now I'm looking to get my own wheels on the road bike.

My builds, and most road wheelsets out there, seem to follow the same general color scheme: black rims, black or silver spokes, colored hub and possibly colored nipples. I know with carbon rims, there isn't much choice but black unless you skin them...but there are more options out there if you're going alloy for a training / general use wheelset.

So, how colorful have people gone in their wheelsets on their road bikes (I know the fixie set can get wild and color on mtbs seems more acceptable...but I'm looking at builds for a road bike).

Thanks all :)

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I'm not sure I've ever seen colored hoops on a geared bike. Fixies, and occasionally a track bike, yes.

Personally, I'm not a big fan. I don't even really like the look of colored tires, but I'm an old fuddy duddy...

Off the top of my head, the Velocity Deep V has a few color options available (purple, red, blue, white, and reflective are the options I'm remembering).

I toyed with the idea of building a set of commuter wheels using the reflective Deep V, but have never gotten around to it....

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Lately I have been carrying the frame color to the nipples

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I like any color as long as it's black. :)

Seriously, the only color options I've seen are with hubs and nips. If I were to do any other color besides black, red would be a possibility. The idea of a full red wheel might be nice, but also might be a thief magnet.

Unfortunately, the only colored nips are alloy. If you want brass nips, you have to get black or silver.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Many years ago I had a set of blue Velocity deep v's built for the commuter bike. They are great wheels, still in use. But the color is way louder than I anticipated - even with silver bits for the rest of the build. Everyone notices them and comments on them. I will not purchase a new wheel/set in colors outside of black or silver again. Too flashy for my taste.

Edit to add: when buying I didnt think much about the wheels longevity. Eventually I retired the frame they were built to match and put them on my next commuter. They look ok. But the new bike is red, the wheels are blue, and my saddle was white. I had to find a black saddle because the red white and blue was way too much for me.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Many years ago I had a set of blue Velocity deep v's built for the commuter bike. They are great wheels, still in use. But the color is way louder than I anticipated - even with silver bits for the rest of the build. Everyone notices them and comments on them. I will not purchase a new wheel/set in colors outside of black or silver again. Too flashy for my taste.

Edit to add: when buying I didnt think much about the wheels longevity. Eventually I retired the frame they were built to match and put them on my next commuter. They look ok. But the new bike is red, the wheels are blue, and my saddle was white. I had to find a black saddle because the red white and blue was way too much for me.
If you post pictures please make them black and white. :)

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in my case, it's for a general purpose clyde build.

I'm thinking H+ Son SL42's (deeper and about the same weight as Deep V's). As strong as the box sections I've had, but a little more aero / blingy. Bike is black base with a fair bit of red striping and some white (plus white brand stickers). I was actually considering black hubs, black nips (brass), white CX-Rays and red SL42's.

They will be a big blast of color compared to the black-black-black or black-silver-black that seems to dominate on-road. Off-road, where you get white rims with bright hubs, spokes and nipples (as well as anodized bits everywhere....heck, my retired XC bike is a signed Gary Fisher that is a study in blue). Either that, or I was considering something something different with the spokes (i.e. different colors leading vs. trailing...again, something you see off-road but not on).

If you've got some colorful stuff, I'd love to see it. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I've done this for a black with red striping bike and it turned out pretty good:
Black rims, red nipples, black spokes except the two before and after the valve which were red.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
I've done this for a black with red striping bike and it turned out pretty good:
Black rims, red nipples, black spokes except the two before and after the valve which were red.

And where did you find red spokes?

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And where did you find red spokes?
If you're not looking at bladed spokes (or have some old Aerolites, which were available in red), you can get pretty much any color you want thanks to the bmx, mtb and fixie crowds.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm building a set of wheels right now w/ blue WI T-11 hubs, silver CX-Rays, and blue nipples on HED tubular rims. A little bling for my road bike.

·
wut?
504 Posts
I'm building a set of wheels right now w/ blue WI T-11 hubs, silver CX-Rays, and blue nipples on HED tubular rims. A little bling for my road bike.
Definite bling, but tasteful all the same IMO. I don't like a lot of different colors on the wheels. I've seen some that looked all psycadelic that I did not like at all.

That being said, I tend to be an all black or black rim/silver spoke & nipple kinda guy. I'm really digging on the black & silver these days on my black bike.

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rplace13, those certainly add a splash of color that goes well with that frame. Nicely done.

With SL42 drillings being an issue, my current idea for my S2 is: Flo 30's with the red and white stickers, red nips, white CXRays and red Onyx hubs (that match my red stripes) with black widgets. Not super flashy (not like funky leading / trailing colorful spoke patterns or neon yellow hubs) but aimed to compliment the frame. Certainly far more color than the common black-black-black or black-silver-black that dominates everywhere these days.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Thanks MRM. I only wish the green nipples showed up better. At least I know they are there. I like the sound of your build. Not over the top but a good dose of color. I think all the black, Black, BLACK as of late is pretty boring.

I almost went with green hubs on the bike above, but did not want to stray too much from what was available back in the day. Remember the blue and red rims form Mavic (open pros, maybe??) that is sort of what I was after with the red rims, but updated like the drive train. I went to great pains to get Record shifting but Athena alloy levers on the bars. I doubt most would notice. I actually bought replacement Record "guts" and an Athena shift set then swapped out both the shift and brake levers. Way more expensive than Super Record in the end, but I got what I was after. The bike always makes me smile. Hope you get the same out of your new wheel set.

Safe riding!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts