Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hiya all,

yesterday i was out shopping for some raingear. i was looking to get either a yellow or orange raincoat. but the saleswoman [who didn't seem to have much clue] was trying to convince me that red is the best colour for visibility on the road. :confused:

i know that car road accident stats show that yellow cars have the least accidents (even if they are ugly). :) do you lot have any ideas which colour coat is best for being seen in inclement weather?

regards,
sb

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
32,346 Posts
binabik said:
hiya all,

yesterday i was out shopping for some raingear. i was looking to get either a yellow or orange raincoat. but the saleswoman [who didn't seem to have much clue] was trying to convince me that red is the best colour for visibility on the road. :confused:

i know that car road accident stats show that yellow cars have the least accidents (even if they are ugly). :) do you lot have any ideas which colour coat is best for being seen in inclement weather?

regards,
sb
Neon Yellow, methinks (espec @ night, but so long as people have their headlights on). If you're wearing a yellow PI zephrr jacket-&you get hit, it's because someone was out to get you.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,387 Posts
Or nasty electric safety green, since green is in the middle of the visible spectrum (royGbiv). Lots of road construction workers have gone from orange to that funky green/yellow color, but I don't know if it is easy to find in normal clothes. Blaze orange is very easy to find of course, because hunters use it, but not as visible.

Red is a bit darker, I would avoid it if safety is the number one concern. And definitely find something with reflective patches/piping.

·
Banned
Bianchi Nuovo Alloro, Lemond Etape
2,301 Posts
red becomes almost invisible...

red becomes almost invisible as light dims.
try it out yourself, in dim light, with something that has red print.

I pay attn to these things cuz I ride my bike at night, plus there are many people out in my neighborhood in the evening and night. They do fitness walking, jogging, walking the dog, and cycling. As the sun sets, they disappear no matter what they are wearing. It doesn't matter what color, or even if they were white. They disappear. And I am a sober driver, driving a moderate speed, and looking for them.

Down the street a couple miles, there are many uninvited guests from Mexico (I would say "illegal immigrants," but apparently that is not an acceptable term). They criss-cross the streets in the early morn when I am driving to work, and when I am driving around after dark. Last week, I came upon one guy who I could not see at all until my headlights reflected off the reflective material of his sneakers. This was distinct.

So, I believe it is foolish to buy a jacket by color for visibility. If you have any choice, red should be the past choice - it just looks black in dim light.

Always wear something reflective - you will be seen in time for someone to jam the brakes on, even when the batteries for your light run out.

http://retina.anatomy.upenn.edu/~lance/retina/cells.html

-this website gives some data that the three color-types of comes have similar sensitivity. Therefore, no color should be more easily perceived.

Rods don't perceive in color, but perceive contrast between light and dark.

From that, the most visible jacket might either be one with shiny material or one with alternating colors, for a contrast.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx all for the replies. i was thinking green should be the most visible, but i bought a bright yellow jacket with reflective stripes & piping all over the place.

i have trouble seeing red anyway, being 100% red/green blind. :)

g'night,
sb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.