Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in one of the most beautiful places on earth, and it just happens to have some great cycling roads too. The Historic Scenic Highway in Oregon is approaching it's 100th birthday, and has spectacluar views and few cars. There are miles of muts along the Columbia river in Portland & Vancouver. You can choose flat rides or extreme climbing rides.

These shots were taken during 2 rides, as my battery died on the 1st one.

The challenge is weeding the gallery down to a reasonable number of photos to upload. There are so many views and great shots along this route. Enjoy!

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Great ride report and photos. It's one of my favorite rides. A couple weekends ago we did some riding, including a gorgeous ride up the Kliclitat River from Lyle to Blockhouse Road, the south to Centerville, then Centerville Road back to Lyle. Another fabulous ride at about 57 miles. For an extra 20 miles you can take it to Goldendale for the turn-around.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
your seat is too high.

·
Back from the dead
20,626 Posts
That's a gorgeous area. I love the old historic highway, but I've never ridden it. Only 15-20 mph wind? So it was a calm day!

Someday in the next few years, we'll settle in the Hood River Valley, and I'll probably run into you on a ride.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JohnnyTooBad said:
That sure beats a sharp stick in the eye. What was the mileage?
The route I inked in red on the map is 95 miles. I like to extend to hit 100, but was pressed for time that day.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
JohnnyTooBad said:
Great ride report and photos. It's one of my favorite rides. A couple weekends ago we did some riding, including a gorgeous ride up the Kliclitat River from Lyle to Blockhouse Road, the south to Centerville, then Centerville Road back to Lyle. Another fabulous ride at about 57 miles. For an extra 20 miles you can take it to Goldendale for the turn-around.
Sounds like a good route. I've been craving the ride from the river at Maryhill st park to Goldendale. That's another I'd want to hit @ 5:00 a.m. to miss traffic. I have a good friend who has a home in Trout Lake, so I may get to do some riding in that area with a local base.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'll know how to answer

haiku d'etat said:
your seat is too high. (my legs are too long?)
When Live_Steam or Physsassist asks me "you know what your problem is?!"

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Wow. I love those looking down the river views. One of my good friends just moved up your direction two weeks ago. His aunt runs an orchard somewhere near there. He started visiting a few years ago and fell in love with the place. I'd like to come and ride up there sometime.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Very nice. You took some time putting that together! You all are lucky if you get 2 uncaptioned pictures of my foot from my rides.

joe

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

We visited that area in the fall of 2006. Drove out to Hood River and saw the sights along the way. Also went to a couple of bike shops in Hood River.

I'd like to come back and spend more time - and ride my bike!

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Undies said:
Did you have to do any riding on I-84?
Yes, about 2.5 miles. It's not too bad, but what was a tailwind at Beacon Rock outbound is a head wind going home.

·
Yo no fui.
8,081 Posts
Love the commentary.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
This ride report just makes me ask why I moved away from the west coast.
I don't have an answer anymore.
Nice pics and report.

·
Climbs like a sprinter...
6,976 Posts
Pixxor # 21:
I used to ride over that bridge everyday when I lived on Mill Plain Blvd (across from the Air Acadamy) and was a bike messenger in Portland. BTW, I did it on a 24" wheeled BMX cruiser.

·
RBR Veteran Opinionater
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
JoeDaddio said:
Very nice. You took some time putting that together! You all are lucky if you get 2 uncaptioned pictures of my foot from my rides.

joe
My architect friends would snicker and roll thier eyes. The map really should have been an inset in a broader general area map. What's with 11b showing up so far out of order (tee hee!). And what's the deal with picture sizes/scale and font points?

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
She drove him to the other side.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts