Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought this and it's too big for me, and I'm in over my head. Should I just put it on ebay? Will the right people be able to find it if I do? It's late 80s early 90s from what I've researched and a bit dirty. Hope the photos load. What should my minimum be if ebay is the answer? Most components are campongolo, besides some Shimano stuff (including the bizarre oval crank). More photos upon request.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle frame
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel rim

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
Where did you buy it from? How much did you pay?

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
That’s a super high-end frame built as a touring bike for someone’s custom measurements. The components don’t have much value. The problem here is a few things, first, Columbine is a custom builder. Buying someone else’s custom geometry is risky, maybe they had weird dimensions that led them to a custom frame? Next, the market for that frame will be very small. It’s either a huge rebuild project bike which means someone willing to invest in components or it’s a tune it up and ride it as is bike. The tune it and ride it crowd isn’t paying decent money for an old downtube shifting frame. The gear range on that triple will give you a wide range of gearing which is nice, but that bike has to be really heavy.

Nice collectors frame you got there!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jared Purdy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a super high-end frame built as a touring bike for someone’s custom measurements. The components don’t have much value. The problem here is a few things, first, Columbine is a custom builder. Buying someone else’s custom geometry is risky, maybe they had weird dimensions that led them to a custom frame? Next, the market for that frame will be very small. It’s either a huge rebuild project bike which means someone willing to invest in components or it’s a tune it up and ride it as is bike. The tune it and ride it crowd isn’t paying decent money for an old downtube shifting frame. The gear range on that triple will give you a wide range of gearing which is nice, but that bike has to be really heavy.

Thank you. I'm not the collector, though and I don't have the room or want to leave it under my house. It's 24" from stem to center of crank, isn't that common? The place I bought it from had about 6 road bikes, this was the nicest as well as many high end parts. I'm hoping that because of this circumstance that it's relatively standard measurements. Besides the center measurement, what else should I measure to get the proper size of it? Do you think I will have better luck stripping it to the frame before selling it? I have also read that I may be able to send the serial numbers to columbine to get more information. Is this accurate?

·
Registered
9,175 Posts
Thank you. I'm not the collector, though and I don't have the room or want to leave it under my house. It's 24" from stem to center of crank, isn't that common? The place I bought it from had about 6 road bikes, this was the nicest as well as many high end parts. I'm hoping that because of this circumstance that it's relatively standard measurements. Besides the center measurement, what else should I measure to get the proper size of it? Do you think I will have better luck stripping it to the frame before selling it? I have also read that I may be able to send the serial numbers to columbine to get more information. Is this accurate?
Measure the seat tube from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube and measure the top tube from the center of the seat tube to the center of the head tube. Even if the frame was made to order those two measurements should fall into a small window that will fit many.

I wouldn't strip and refinish until more was know, with many classics original finish matters. The components look to be mid level. possibly a mix of parts.

It wouldn't hurt to contact Columbine.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I wouldn't strip and refinish until more was know, with many classics original finish matters. The components look to be mid level. possibly a mix of parts.
I think Bennifer means stripping the components off and selling just the frame.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I’d leave the bike as is to sell it. Yes, eBay is your best option to sell this. If you get lucky and some nostalgic touring person comes across it and has a thing for downtube shifting maybe you get the big bucks.

You said you paid $2,000 for this? Is that a typo?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,769 Posts
Well, it looks like a 62cm-64cm, which is just a bit too big for myself, and I'm 6'3". Also, that frame is OLD (45+years old), and there is already a good bit of corrosion on the headset race, so I'm imagining that not many of the components on it are exactly "pristine". This bike TO THE RIGHT PERSON might be worth as much as $500, but only IF everything is in decent shape. If the bearings are trashed, other components are corroded, etc., it might be worth only half that. Regardless, if you spent $2k on it as it is right now, you got fleeced.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
16,153 Posts
I’d leave the bike as is to sell it. Yes, eBay is your best option to sell this. If you get lucky and some nostalgic touring person comes across it and has a thing for downtube shifting maybe you get the big bucks.
All you really need is for 2 people drool over it and get into a bidding war. (y)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
All you really need is for 2 people drool over it and get into a bidding war. (y)
That’s possible. It has the pedigree. I’m not sure it’s in the kind of condition that would spark that kind of bidding, but you never know. I’d put a value around $250-300. If it is in fact a 62 or greater than good luck with that narrowing down the buyers by a whole heck of a lot. 2 6’7” nostalgic touring cyclists looking for a classic 30lb touring bike with downtube shifters?

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,769 Posts
....... 2 6’7” nostalgic touring cyclists looking for a classic 30lb touring bike with downtube shifters?
I'm 6'3", and generally ride a 60cm frame. If you look at these larger frames, you may notice that the downtube is a LOOOOONGG way down. I kinda doubt you'll find even 1 6'7" tall cyclist who looks back fondly at downtube shifters. Us tall guys were usually the first to switch to bar-ends!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
T
Well, it looks like a 62cm-64cm, which is just a bit too big for myself, and I'm 6'3". Also, that frame is OLD (45+years old), and there is already a good bit of corrosion on the headset race, so I'm imagining that not many of the components on it are exactly "pristine". This bike TO THE RIGHT PERSON might be worth as much as $500, but only IF everything is in decent shape. If the bearings are trashed, other components are corroded, etc., it might be worth only half that. Regardless, if you spent $2k on it as it is right now, you got fleeced.
this frame is obviously from the late 80s early 90s if you know anything about co

lumbine. 45+ years old is ludacris assumption

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

You said you paid $2,000 for this? Is that a typo?

I said I paid less than 2000. I did not specify what I paid because I wanted a general price range on the bike. Since you asked I sill be honest, j paid 150 for this, nashiki, and a busted rusted pos. I saw that columbine charges 5500 for these lugs and frame set currently if you order them.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
I said I paid less than 2000. I did not specify what I paid because I wanted a general price range on the bike. Since you asked I sill be honest, j paid 150 for this, nashiki, and a busted rusted pos. I saw that columbine charges 5500 for these lugs and frame set currently if you order them.
Yes, but the new ones come without the rust.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
OK, so it's "only" 35 year old, then. But you still misspelled "ludicrous"....
35 years old, showing signs of rust... Taller riders are likely heavier riders... Who know what’s inside that frame and if it’ll hold a heavier rider? Not sure the OP could realistically ride a frame this size, but if so, this is a nice project piece. Take everything off the frame and assess the tubing... That would matter most. Get the BB out, but seat tube and head tube also... The fork does not portend well, but if it’s a solid frame put it back together and get the drivetrain operating well and ride it. From a selling value standpoint, I don’t think there is any real value. Unless you happen that one person looking for this bike who wants to make it that project... More likely it would sit on eBay forever and eventually, maybe, you get the 150 back?

·
Despicable Rogue
2 Posts
I bought this and it's too big for me, and I'm in over my head. Should I just put it on ebay? Will the right people be able to find it if I do? It's late 80s early 90s from what I've researched and a bit dirty. Hope the photos load. What should my minimum be if ebay is the answer? Most components are campongolo, besides some Shimano stuff (including the bizarre oval crank). More photos upon request. View attachment 482331 View attachment 482330
I think that would clean up quite nicely..most rust I saw was on the headset,and the chrome on the forks seems not too bad. I'd strip off the components and clean & polish the frame. Post the frame over on one of the Facebook rando pages and someone will call..Is that a Colorado frame? I remember when Columbine was in Colorado before moving west. John

·
Registered
84 Posts

Man, they make some gorgeous frames. I remember an article that appeared in Bicycling Magazine in the mid 80's that show cased some of the best US frame builders. Columbine was clearly the stand out. The lug work was unlike anything that I had ever seen.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts