Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just brought a frame with Columbus Airplane tubing with Muscle carbon seat and chain stays however I am concern with how little clearance there is between the tire and the seat stay. I am using a 23mm GP4000 and there is barely 1mm between the top of the tire and the arch of the stay. I am wondering of anybody else have had similar experiences with this particular setup.

Thanks in advance
Wayne

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
I don't have experiance with that exact setup however I had a Giant TCR1 that had short chainstays resulting in very tight clearance between the tire and seat tube. Once in a while i would have small rocks stick to the tire and scratch the frame. It also limits tire selection. I couldn't use 25mm tires because of lack of clearance. I would say just be careful to not buy tires with too high a profile.

·
Parlee fan!
747 Posts
Muscle rear stays

I have the Muscle stays on my SOMEC Starlight and I use (700x23) GP3000. I have no problem with clearance whatsoever. I haven't really tried putting a 25 on it but I think it has enough clearance.

Joe

·
Blacklisted
143 Posts
No such issue on my Cyfac Airplane w/ Muscle seatstays. Even 25's fit with room to spare. Sounds like you may have a framebuilding error on your hands.

That said, I thought the Muscle stays were pretty much pre-fab. My understanding is that the carbon seat stay wishbone is preassembled with the aluminum ends, which are then fastened to the dropout. The builder just glues the carbon to the supplied aluminum sleeve (welded to the seat tube) once he has the geometry the way he wants it. In other words, I think the axle-to-brake bolt distance is fixed.

Who built the frame?
Did the builder use the Columbus-supplied dropouts, or did he substitute something else?
Did you buy the frame new?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
WOY said:
I have just brought a frame with Columbus Airplane tubing with Muscle carbon seat and chain stays however I am concern with how little clearance there is between the tire and the seat stay. I am using a 23mm GP4000 and there is barely 1mm between the top of the tire and the arch of the stay. I am wondering of anybody else have had similar experiences with this particular setup.

Thanks in advance
Wayne

I have a bike with one of the very first Muscle rear ends. It's a custom, and when it was built, the positioning of the thing was such that the brakes can only be positioned in the very bottom of their slot. I do have that problem, but none with the clearance issues you describe. My suspicion is that there is some funkiness in positioning the whole thing when it's mounted on the frame and you just have such a permutation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The frame is an Avanti Team Corsa, it has standard airplane tubing, the BB shell with the two lugs and the columbus dropouts. I agree the stays are pre-fab and I guess are pretty much standard however it is a compact frame and the seat stay could have been angled shallower hence the bottom of the arch is closer to the tire. Come to think of it the bolt where the seat stay is bolted onto the drop out is on top of the centre of the axle hence if the seat stay angle is shallower the arch will be closer to the tire.

Anyhow I have another set of EVO CX in 23mm and they are slightly smaller (diameter wise) than the GP4000s (23mm) . I also talked to the manufacturer and apparently becasue it is a race frame the tire clearance is much tighter.... It will definitely not take 25s.

Thanks

·
iedereen op de fiets
675 Posts
terry b

I just realized where I have seen your avatar before, it has driven me little crazy.

This morning I was in the kitchen. I glanced over and saw a bottle of Ravenswood Zin and there was your avatar. Do you have a connection with them?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
While the pieces and parts are pre-fab, the people putting them together still made adjustments to the length of the stays before attaching the end-caps. Cutting a couple of mm short would cause the problem you describe. Drilling the hole for the brake bolt caused my problem. I just went out and stuck my little finger in between the tire and the arch on my bike, I have 18mm of clearance. I'm sure it's a MFGing tolerance problem.

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
BikinCO said:
terry b

I just realized where I have seen your avatar before, it has driven me little crazy.

This morning I was in the kitchen. I glanced over and saw a bottle of Ravenswood Zin and there was your avatar. Do you have a connection with them?
No, it's just a nice combination of things I'm interested in - birds, wine and bicycle wheels (as formed by the three ravens.)

·
Blacklisted
143 Posts
Terry, are you sure the builders adjust the length at the bottom of the seat stays?

In looking at my bike, I don't see how they could shorten them without affecting the rear wheel (axle) spacing. Of course, they could just flex them into place for assembly, but I wouldn't think that having them in tension would be a great plan. I suppose they could also shim the space between the cap and dropout, but again...

Granted, we are talking a small dimensional change, but this has my curiosity piqued. Insight?

·
eminence grease
18,559 Posts
cendres said:
Terry, are you sure the builders adjust the length at the bottom of the seat stays?

In looking at my bike, I don't see how they could shorten them without affecting the rear wheel (axle) spacing. Of course, they could just flex them into place for assembly, but I wouldn't think that having them in tension would be a great plan. I suppose they could also shim the space between the cap and dropout, but again...

Granted, we are talking a small dimensional change, but this has my curiosity piqued. Insight?
I don't think so. I went and looked at mine too. I'm sure they get adjusted when the thing is glued together and that is probably the source of the problems I have and the OP has. Might be nothing more than MFGing tolerances.

My bike was custom, and the builder noted the problem. That led me to think he'd made a mis-cut. And perhaps he did and you and I are mistaken. Next time I talk to him, I'll ask.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.