Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone it's been a looooonnnggggg time since I rode my bike... starting to ride again but need a liltle motivation as well as comfort and safety reasons thinking about upgrading maybe switching bikes... recently changed career and are on a tight budget spending around $1000, no more than that. My bike is way outdated... a Trek 2300 composite with downtube shifters, 60'' frame a bit oversized for me at 6' 0'' & 205- 210 lbs... need help please.... upgrade starting where? or total switch? appreciate all input...

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
JustDoIt said:
Hey everyone it's been a looooonnnggggg time since I rode my bike... starting to ride again but need a liltle motivation as well as comfort and safety reasons thinking about upgrading maybe switching bikes... recently changed career and are on a tight budget spending around $1000, no more than that. My bike is way outdated... a Trek 2300 composite with downtube shifters, 60'' frame a bit oversized for me at 6' 0'' & 205- 210 lbs... need help please.... upgrade starting where? or total switch? appreciate all input...
if you're on a tight budget forget about getting a new bike or even upgrading - bikes don't get outdated - everything on your bike still works - instead invest in organised rides, races and cycling clubs - that'll do more for motivation than anything - maybe get some new tyres if you gotta spend something on it - for me the fun of cycling is cycling not buying stuff (that's second) :-0

·
Registered
602 Posts
I agree that at first don't touch a thing on your bike

You first have to find 'the love' again. I took 97-98 off the bike due to injury and burnout. After a while my outdated mongoose IBOC called to me and I relented. But I let myself get back into the frey and find the love again before I considered a new bike or upgrades.

Think of a new bike or major upgrade as a reward for getting yourself back into shape. But ride first...

·
Pixie Sticks and Politics
716 Posts
I agree. After about a 10 year hiatus (burned out) I returned on the same old 6 speed Cannondale with steel forks and downtube shifters ( I actually still use my 14 year pair of Shimano Dura Ace clipless). I loved it and after a while I "upgraded". I, like you was on a budget. I actually bought a used bike from this website (check the classifieds section out). I was completely and totally satisfied and very happy with the way the purchase was handled. Welcome back and good luck!

·
Cannot bench own weight
4,298 Posts
I will say that having a nice shiney new bike could be the impetus to get you out there more. That's what it took for me. Not sure what to tell you to buy for $1k though. I've been spending at the other end of the spectrum lately...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I'll keep it in mind I was thinking may be getting just a "new" frame to a smaller size my current is way big for me it's kinda uncomfy and using all the parts I have on my current bike?......

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
JustDoIt said:
Thanks guys, I'll keep it in mind I was thinking may be getting just a "new" frame to a smaller size my current is way big for me it's kinda uncomfy and using all the parts I have on my current bike?......
Here again, you can use the same kind of strategy. Find a decent $50 bike at a garage sale, and use the best parts off of both bikes. Then ride until you know what you want.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.