Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm ridding a Fizik Antares R5. I love the way it performes It is firm and I feel like it fits me well with the width 144mm. I'm just noticing that after 2.5-3hrs in saddle the under carriage is a little sore. So riding the next day I'm wiggling a bit more to get comfortable. Anybody have a good performance saddle they like for longer rides that's not too squishy and don't slide around on?

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
I know exactly what you mean and I went thru the same quest for the perfect saddle after spending 5 figures in my search.

Give me a few minutes (Gotta go help a friend) and I'll let you know what is the ultimate saddle.

BRB.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Maybe try the new Antares VS?

The new VS line is catching on quite a bit in the pros. They're in the saddle for ages.

·
Registered
3,935 Posts
I use the Cobb Randee on both my bikes, works great for long rides for me. But works for me doesn't mean it will work for you too. The ones I have are plenty firm, the new version may be softer - which I personally would not like but again everyone has their preference. Selle Italia has lots of options - I like their SuperFlow SLR for rides under 100 miles.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Meld. It's custom and about $350. They send you a crush box you sit on. You mail it back and in a few weeks you'll get your custom saddle. I LOVE mine. Very comfortable and very light. Like many, I had spent 5 figures as well trying to find the right saddle over the years.
Meld3d.com

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Selle Italia Flite Gel works for me. I have done 8+ hour rides and felt fine at the end. Not a current model, but they are on EBay all the time.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
Brooks makes DOZENS that fit that bill....
Are you familiar with Brooks saddles first hand? I'm thinking about going this way as the saddle that had worked for me for years (Serfas Rx Men's), is now giving me saddle rash. I've tried different shorts, tried changing tilt, but still have the problem. I'm wondering if a harder saddle would be better for this problem.

The problem with Brooks is that as you say, they make dozens of types of saddles. Which to choose from? Experimenting with these will be expensive.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have a lot of experience with brooks going back to the mid 80's when I started riding ultra marathons. At that time I used the Pro. Very comfortable for me.

I have also used the B17 without any issues. I don't really have a preference. I would hesitate to call them "performance saddles" based on their weight

Last year I put a swallow on my new Lynskey. I bought it at a swap meet for half price new in box. Obviously it did not work for someone.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Meld. It's custom and about $350. They send you a crush box you sit on. You mail it back and in a few weeks you'll get your custom saddle. I LOVE mine. Very comfortable and very light. Like many, I had spent 5 figures as well trying to find the right saddle over the years.
Meld3d.com
How interesting! After I posted this back in 2013, I was hoping that someone would start such business. :)

I wish I heard about this 3 weeks ago before I spent $120 on Specialized Power saddle for my second bike. :( It works decently but I feel that it could be better.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,443 Posts
I have also used the B17 without any issues. I don't really have a preference. I would hesitate to call them "performance saddles" based on their weight
I really don't care about weight within reason (no spring version for me). I just want a saddle that's comfortable on longer rides of 60-70 miles.

The B17 Imperial has a cutout which my current saddle has. In theory, this is supposed to keep my package from going numb.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
there is no such thing as a universally perfect saddle. its not about padding either. it's about buying a saddle that fits your own individual sit-bone. no two people will find the same saddle comfortable, you just have to try them out.

·
Banned
7,744 Posts
I find the brooks saddles great for mtb where you're in and out of the saddle a lot. They are a one-position saddle and do not work for me on the road.

The fizik arione is my preference as it offers different but workable pressure points by simply sliding for or aft.

You could do that on a brooks but would suffer serious discomfort.

As someone already pointed out, everybody has a different ass, so, what will work for you is anybody's guess.
Are you familiar with Brooks saddles first hand? I'm thinking about going this way as the saddle that had worked for me for years (Serfas Rx Men's), is now giving me saddle rash. I've tried different shorts, tried changing tilt, but still have the problem. I'm wondering if a harder saddle would be better for this problem.

The problem with Brooks is that as you say, they make dozens of types of saddles. Which to choose from? Experimenting with these will be expensive.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The problem with asking opinions on saddles is one persons comfort saddle is somebody else's torture device.Fizik on their web page give a nice description of the shapes of saddles: bull, chameleon & snake and this can help point you toward the right shape based on your riding style(in any companies saddle) & then figuring out your width.

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
when i got my c-59 the original saddle didn't work for me. r&a cycles noticed the saddle was curved from the center so on the next go-around we opted for something flatter. for me it worked. i bring this up not so you should get the same saddle i got but a suggestion that if a saddle isn't working analyze the saddle so you can opt for something that has a different shape. in this way at least you're not repeating the same mistake.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
it's not how it works it's how it looks.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
there is no such thing as a universally perfect saddle. its not about padding either. it's about buying a saddle that fits your own individual sit-bone. no two people will find the same saddle comfortable, you just have to try them out.
And that's the truth. When I try a saddle that "looks" comfortable, it's terrible.

The saddle I ride most is a Specialized Toupe which is the last saddle I'd chose just by looking. But it works for me!!!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts