Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone through 3 pairs of road shoes. My first pair, Sidi Genius, from back in 2000 when I first started cycling are still my favorite. But I felt they were too narrow. I wear 40 (7-7.5) and my feet are a bit wider. The Sidis have been broken in the most, but after a long ride, my feet start to get sore, especially the fleshy part of the metatarsus (along the outer side of the foot). Of course the balls of my feet scream in pain too. I've tried the sport level Specialized and have been enduring the Shimano R-151. I still get the pains after long rides. Does anyone have good experiences with road shoes, especially riders who have wider feet?

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
If you truly need a shoe that's wide all over, the Sidi Megas are indeed the way to go. If you don't need that much, but want a roomier last, check out Northwave and Carnac.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
Sidi Megas are, IME, the widest. Personally, I wouldn't buy the Genius model again. Sidi makes a lower cost model that seems to me to be exactly the same shoe, except it has a velcro strap instead of the buckle. I'd like that better anyway,

Shimano 151's are also available in a wide size. Nashbar or Performance usually carry them.

·
gastarbeiter
1,524 Posts
i wore carnac lemonds for years, then wore carnac quartz. now wearing shimano r-215s.

all w/o pain, apart from the r215s getting a little tight on my left foot pinky toe when it;s really hot and my feet swell.

did you get the normal r-151s, or the wide ones?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use both the Shimano R151 and 215 models in wide. When I purchased them I got hot spots under my feet. The simple solution was to replace the insoles. I use Superfeet brand. Now the shoes are very comfortable. I would recommend these models. I believe they are the only models in the Shimano line that offer a wide version..

·
Registered
310 Posts
Give Nike a shot. Contrary to their running shoes, they make some cycling shoes that are wide foot friendly. I have wide feet, but more in the arch area than anything, and I am wearing a pair of Granfondo WRX. Very comfortable and plenty wide for the waterskis that came attached to my legs. They also make a couple models of their shoes in widths.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
botto said:
i wore carnac lemonds for years, then wore carnac quartz. now wearing shimano r-215s.

all w/o pain, apart from the r215s getting a little tight on my left foot pinky toe when it;s really hot and my feet swell.

did you get the normal r-151s, or the wide ones?
I think I got the regular ones. I remember reading about it but when I bought them online, i didn't realize they never asked if i wanted wide or regular. bummer. I should stick to buying locally.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Lake

I can use Carnac, Sidi-mega without a problem, but most comfortable for my feet are Lake. Higher end doesn't come in wide sizes. I think the current model with wide sizes is CX225. Mine are older 220 models. Not only wide in the toes, but accomodates a high arch, too, which the Sidis don't do as well.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.