Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask riders who had achilled tedon tear/rapture , who had surgery for repair - how long did it take for you to ride again.
i raptured my left achilles tendon may 18 playing basketbal and im just wondering how long do i have to endure as i cant do much and cant wait to something....

·
Reality Star
930 Posts
Either with or without surgery you are looking at 3 months in a cast. I ruptured mine 2 years ago playing tennis and did not do surgery because of the rate of major complications. The outcomes between the two are statistically equal.

Once out of the cast I tried my MTB and WHOA, it did feel scary. So, I did some research and found that road biking was good rehab for the Achilles and I am now a noob roadie ! I am equally passionate about both types of cycling.

You will have calf muscle atrophy which probably will be permanent but not disabling. Work with your physical therapist .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don Duende said:
Either with or without surgery you are looking at 3 months in a cast. I ruptured mine 2 years ago playing tennis and did not do surgery because of the rate of major complications. The outcomes between the two are statistically equal.

Once out of the cast I tried my MTB and WHOA, it did feel scary. So, I did some research and found that road biking was good rehab for the Achilles and I am now a noob roadie ! I am equally passionate about both types of cycling.

You will have calf muscle atrophy which probably will be permanent but not disabling. Work with your physical therapist .
tnx for the reply.
i had my injury may 18 2008 , surgery on may 29 2008. i have to give up tennis and basketball from here on in so cycling will be my main fitness tool. When i researched - yes there are pros and cons for both and re rapture rate is higher on non surgical patients but also you have to consider how bad the rapture is. complications high on surgical patients more on infection and wound healing problems .

the main point i think is the patience as this takes a ong time to rehab and hard to get the range of motion back without endangering the healing tendon.

btw im in a half cast - short leg for 2 weeks i think and i have a appontment jun 11 wed and i will be placed in a boot with ankle ROM stop and will be on limites weight bearing for a while .

·
Banned
6,492 Posts
Haven't done mine, but a guy I work with ruptured his playing hoops, and it was a long process coming back. He was in a cast for the three months the other post mentioned, then on crutches for awhile, I think. I remember he was hoping to be fully recovered in six months, but didn't make it. He was still sore and limping.
FWIW, he didn't do much of the PT they recommended for him, which probably slowed his recovery.

·
Off the back
332 Posts
I had mine rebuilt on November 5 last year. I'm racing a sprint triathlon tomorrow. Not sure how the run will go time-wise (I never was a good runner), but I'm riding well. I did a TT right on average time from last year.

I had ~50% "mucoid degeneration", 50% detachment, a Hagulund's deformity (bony protruberance), calcium deposits and bursitis. He cleaned all that up, inserted 6 long cable sutures to reinforce the area and put me back together. About 2 1/2 hours on the table.

Yes, the 2 months in a hard cast and month in a walking boot sux, but I'm what my surgeon calls "remarkable". He's really happy with my healing and sees no scar and only well formed tendon.

It's worth having done. Make sure you have a good surgeon.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cory said:
Haven't done mine, but a guy I work with ruptured his playing hoops, and it was a long process coming back. He was in a cast for the three months the other post mentioned, then on crutches for awhile, I think. I remember he was hoping to be fully recovered in six months, but didn't make it. He was still sore and limping.
FWIW, he didn't do much of the PT they recommended for him, which probably slowed his recovery.
tnx too - ill make sure i do my physical therapy /rehab .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pitt83 said:
I had mine rebuilt on November 5 last year. I'm racing a sprint triathlon tomorrow. Not sure how the run will go time-wise (I never was a good runner), but I'm riding well. I did a TT right on average time from last year.

I had ~50% "mucoid degeneration", 50% detachment, a Hagulund's deformity (bony protruberance), calcium deposits and bursitis. He cleaned all that up, inserted 6 long cable sutures to reinforce the area and put me back together. About 2 1/2 hours on the table.

Yes, the 2 months in a hard cast and month in a walking boot sux, but I'm what my surgeon calls "remarkable". He's really happy with my healing and sees no scar and only well formed tendon.

It's worth having done. Make sure you have a good surgeon.
tnx , nice to know about good outcomes after an injury like this. it is encouraging....

·
Third Coast Colnago
363 Posts
screwdriver said:
I would like to ask riders who had achilled tedon tear/rapture , who had surgery for repair - how long did it take for you to ride again.
i raptured my left achilles tendon may 18 playing basketbal and im just wondering how long do i have to endure as i cant do much and cant wait to something....
every body is different.

I severed/ruptured mine in july of 'oo playing softball-( I wrestled for 20 years and my legs are pretty beat up). I had my second surgery(removed the screw and support wire) in mid Sept. and the cast came off in mid to late october. I went to PT until late November. I really didn't get back to anything physical until spring when it began warming up again.

It you had a 100% rupture, it's a bugger coming back because you have to deal with a tighter achilles tendon and a much smaller calf due to a muscle graft. It'll take a while, but as long as you're somewhat patient, it'll workout fine. My doc said that the repaired achiles is stornger than a normal achilles. My right one feels like it can "go" and probably will. Not much I can do about it. Good luck.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
calle_betis said:
every body is different.

I severed/ruptured mine in july of 'oo playing softball-( I wrestled for 20 years and my legs are pretty beat up). I had my second surgery(removed the screw and support wire) in mid Sept. and the cast came off in mid to late october. I went to PT until late November. I really didn't get back to anything physical until spring when it began warming up again.

It you had a 100% rupture, it's a bugger coming back because you have to deal with a tighter achilles tendon and a much smaller calf due to a muscle graft. It'll take a while, but as long as you're somewhat patient, it'll workout fine. My doc said that the repaired achiles is stornger than a normal achilles. My right one feels like it can "go" and probably will. Not much I can do about it. Good luck.
tnx for the input man. i appreciate it.
my achilles tendon tear is described in the MRI as Almost complete tear - ill ask the doctor wednesday what he did as far as surgery went.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I am on my feet all day and by evening they are hurting also I am suffering from Achilles Tendon Pain. I am still breaking them in but foot pain is decreasing. My feet feel snug and supported. The arch support is very noticeable and feels good. Will be trying sandals also. orthofeet sneakers felt great as soon as i put them on. I am walking several miles a day and even started running some.
https://www.orthofeet.com/collections/achilles-tendon-pain
You do realize...gulp....this person and thread you are writing to/responding to is from 2008? :eek:

·
Banned
2,079 Posts
Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.