Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a race this Sunday and I'm switching out the tires on my Powertap wheelset. I go to inspect the rim because I see a little mark near the spoke hole. Behold! A cracked, eyeleted, open pro rim. I have no time to take it in before my race and will have to switch to backup wheels.

Why does this always seem to happen at the worst possible time? Upon closer inspection there are about 5 cracked spots. I weigh about 185 and I don't abuse my stuff. I haven't had this wheel that long, I don't get it. I will try to get some warranty resolution next week. Aren't these rims supposed to last forever? I did give the spoke a little tug to see if the spoke had de-tensioned.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
climbandcycle said:
I weigh about 185 and I don't abuse my stuff. I haven't had this wheel that long, I don't get it. I will try to get some warranty resolution next week. Aren't these rims supposed to last forever?
How long is "not that long"? How many miles? At your weight, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect 20K miles if you "ride light" and the wheel was properly built, though that is somewhat luck as well depending on what you might have hit. It sounds like the spokes were over-tensioned. No rim lasts forever.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wheel may have 2k on it. I have another set of wheels that are open pros that I ride CX with and have never had a problem. I have another rim I can swap in, it is just a little unnerving. My friend warned me that power-tap factory wheels detonate pretty regularly.

I did do a quick check of tension on all the spokes a month or two ago and everything seemed pretty even and about what my other wheels are. The spoke is only out that much because I gave it a little squeeze to see how close it was to breaking. I got my answer as you can see.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I have cracked an Open Pro before, but only by way over tensioning. Before I had a tensiometer, I used the Brandt method of tightening spokes until the rim starts to potato chip and then back off a turn. This yielded a wheel with about 170kgF of spoke tension. It only lasted about 10K miles before cracks appeared around the eyelets.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
android said:
I have cracked an Open Pro before, but only by way over tensioning. Before I had a tensiometer, I used the Brandt method of tightening spokes until the rim starts to potato chip and then back off a turn. This yielded a wheel with about 170kgF of spoke tension. It only lasted about 10K miles before cracks appeared around the eyelets.
whoa dude... 170 is *alot*, i'm surprised they lasted that long !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.