Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me: 195 lbs, former racer and enjoy fast club rides and training rides (45-60 miles with some centuries) now.

White Industries T11 hubs
24 DT Comp spokes front (maybe radial laced)
32 DT Comp spokes rear (3x)
IRD (Kinlin) 300 rims

Thanks

·
A wheelist
11,324 Posts
Me: 195 lbs, former racer and enjoy fast club rides and training rides (45-60 miles with some centuries) now.

IRD (Kinlin) 300 rims
I like it! Thanks for not being in the "can I get away with 16/20 spokes?" camp. That's a very sensible set of wheels.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

IRD (Kinlin) 300 rims

Thanks
Kudos for a reasonable build, depending you your power output you should be able to go with a 28h (especially if you go to the XC279). The other spokes mention (aero) offer a bit of bling (a 20/24h front wheel could actually see some improvement).

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Thanks for the good suggestions. Why the different spokes (not an expert myself so thanks-I just only really know DT comps).
The T11 has a very high inherent tension ratio (~16mm DS offset and 38.5mm NDS), and lighter (less stiff) NDS spokes help to mitigate the effects of that. The front wheel does not require high tension IME, and the lighter spokes should be plenty stiff for you... so basically no good reason not to use lighter spokes there, but Comps would be fine if you prefer them. I'd spring for the aero spokes though since you are springing for nice hubs... if you get a tool from Alchemy to hold the blade, they are very easy to build.

The rim also has very good aero properties, so you would end up with a durable wheelset that doesn't give up any speed. Sure it isn't a lot... but still.

BTW, if you go with aero spokes, you can get DT Aero Comps (an ovalized version of the Comp that doesn't require hub slotting) for the DS, and use CX-Rays or Aerolites elsewhere.

·
wut?
507 Posts
Kudos for a reasonable build, depending you your power output you should be able to go with a 28h (especially if you go to the XC279).
+1 I'm the same weight as the OP, 6'-3" and I have pretty good power. I spent 2 years on some A23's @ 28 spokes with DT comps 3X-DS/NDS and they were fine for me. Very Solid and the XC279 is stiffer than the A23 rim.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Final decision here. CK R45 hubs 28/32 spokes with DT Swiss 440 rims. Question: Is it worth going with the CX-Rays for the front if I'm going with 2x rather than radial lacing? Sticking with DT Comps for the rear but I know some use the lighter CX-Rays front and rear. Thanks for all the help.
(Things were easier when it was just 36 spokes and GP4 rims!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.