Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alchemy Hubs, Kinlin XR-270 rims, CW-Ray spokes, brass nipples. Front will be radially laced, 16 hole. Not sure on the rear, but likely 20 spokes. I'm pretty light at 146lbs.

What do you think?

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,214 Posts
I think that you have made a good selection on the parts. But I would have to suggest possibly upping the spoke count a bit. Although you might be able to get away with a 16/20, for your reassurance and durability I think that a 20/24 would be a better call. You would only be adding 40ish grams to your overall build but you would be ensuring that the occasional pothole/crack isnt going to throw that thing out of round. Going with a 16/20 sounds to me like it would be alot of maintenance in the long run.

Roland F.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't race, so they're just going to be ridden and ridden. I do a lot of climbing though, so weight may be an issue (probably mostly in my head). I've been riding 16 spoke front wheels for a couple years - Bontrager RaceXLights - and they are still true. I also have a set of Rolf Vector Pros bought in '98. They have many thousands of miles on them, and the front is 14 spokes. I don't think that 16 spokes in front will be a problem at all.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If it's weight thats bothering you then have you considered the XR-200 rims or at least up front in 20h it would be lighter even with 20 spokes?
l have an XR-300 24h rear and XR-200 20h up front and they have copped some serious abuse, front rim weighed 382g and built up it came in at ~540g great rims the XR series :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.