Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not very often when I run into another biker on singletrack or on the road and he/she doesn't smile, say hello, give a nod, tip off the hat, flip the finger....you get my point. Most riders are usually pretty cool and out of common courtesy give some form of acknowledgment.

I hate to stereotype but I'm starting to see I trend with roadies and it's not a very friendly one. Today, among many other instances, I pulled up to this rider in matching apparel on a fantastic Look frame with Dura Ace components and was quite impressed. Tried small talk and general conversation, and this character was ultra ego!! I don't know if it's the lycra or the 6-7k bike, but get your head out of the clouds. He seemed rather irritated that I caught up to him and he acted like his s$%@ doesn't stink. Rule of thumb, show a little class and get in the habit of smiling or saying hi when passing by another rider. It's good etiquette and it's good for the sport. :D

·
Power Napper
2,853 Posts
OMG!!! I am going to gouge my eyes out.

Get over yourself. Do you ride so people will notice you or do you ride for yourself? Do you "chat up" everyone you pass walking on the street? Why do you need acknowledgment?

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
theBreeze said:
Do you "chat up" everyone you pass walking on the street? Why do you need acknowledgment?
dude. have you never heard of The Jeep Wave? :rolleyes:

Clearly, in this case, the cyclist on the multi thousand dollar bike scored higher than the OP. The OP was below said rider on the "scoreboard" and was not worthy of a gesture in return. Duhh. :rolleyes:

·
yup
2,739 Posts
tojnom said:
It's not very often when I run into another biker on singletrack or on the road and he/she doesn't smile, say hello, give a nod, tip off the hat, flip the finger....you get my point. Most riders are usually pretty cool and out of common courtesy give some form of acknowledgment.

I hate to stereotype but I'm starting to see I trend with roadies and it's not a very friendly one. Today, among many other instances, I pulled up to this rider in matching apparel on a fantastic Look frame with Dura Ace components and was quite impressed. Tried small talk and general conversation, and this character was ultra ego!! I don't know if it's the lycra or the 6-7k bike, but get your head out of the clouds. He seemed rather irritated that I caught up to him and he acted like his s$%@ doesn't stink. Rule of thumb, show a little class and get in the habit of smiling or saying hi when passing by another rider. It's good etiquette and it's good for the sport. :D
Maybe you are scary. After all its an expensive bike and you might look like a hooligan to them. STRANGER DANGER!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
What you're seeing isn't unique to cycling, or the cyclists in your area. In any sport or activity I've been involved with, I've seen those attitudes. I was at one time very much into offshore speedboats - had myself a 30' Scarab Panther. Most other boaters loved to show off and talk about their boats - idle up next to them at the dock or in a no-wake zone, and they'd open their engine hatches and show you their prize motors, talk about their best and worst experiences, and then reciprocate and let you talk about yours. There's nothing like sharing a common interest for making quick friends. But there was always that few, the snobs, with noses held so high they were at risk of hitting low bridges with them. Been into Ham Radio - same thing there. Martial arts, ditto. Fishing: that too. And photography. They're everywhere and in every sport or hobby. F*** them - do you're own thing and appreciate the rest who are down-to-earth people.

·
Registered
134 Posts
" dude. have you never heard of The Jeep Wave? :rolleyes: "

You mean the "Wrangler Wave." People who drive Wranglers wave to people who Drive Wranglers. that's it. if you're in a different model and wave to a wrangler you probably wont get a wave back.
If someone wants to talk to you they will. If they don't then...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
theBreeze said:
OMG!!! I am going to gouge my eyes out.

Get over yourself. Do you ride so people will notice you or do you ride for yourself? Do you "chat up" everyone you pass walking on the street? Why do you need acknowledgment?

It's not even the acknowledgement, the guy was just stuck up. I don't chat up everyone passing by on the street, but if I'm riding my bike and I coincidentally run into another biker at a stop light what's wrong with conversation? We share a common interest, why not be friendly?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
tojnom said:
....I hate to stereotype but I'm starting to see I trend with roadies and it's not a very friendly one. ....
This is such a stupid subject that comes up here over and over again.

People on bicycles are people first. If you think they should behave in a certain way the problem is yours, not theirs.

Get over yourself.

Where does it say that just because we are both on bicycles I have to act the way you want me to.

It don't and I won't.

BTW most days we see thousands of other cyclists. The thrill is long gone.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
MB1 said:
This is such a stupid subject that comes up here over and over again.

People on bicycles are people first. If you think they should behave in a certain way the problem is yours, not theirs.

Get over yourself.

I agree it's somewhat of wasted topic, but I felt the need to vent. I didn't happen to ride by you earlier did I?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
I dislike most people, and that includes cyclists.
If a person scores a three on the "cool" scale, they get a nod. If they score a five, they get a nod and a smile. If they score a seven, and I know them, they get the mini-wave (hand three inches off the bar). If they score a nine and are on our elite team, I give them a Pee We Herman wave with both hands, and then proceed to fall down.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Common courtsey?!!! I was riding yesterday and approached a curb ramp leading to a bike path. I saw another cyclist coming across from the opposite direction and we were going to approach the ramp at the same time. The curb ramp is pretty tight and I didn't know if the other cyclist is getting off or just passing by. If he was was just passing by and I had gotten on, we would had collided because of the timing. So as I approached the ramp, I unclipped one pedal and stopped to let him get off or pass without him stopping. He decided to get off the ramp and as he completely passed by me he said "WATCH OUT DING DONG". I was shocked as hell, and I shouted back "WTF?! I gave you the right of way!" He didn't reply or show any gesture but I knew he heard me. I did give it some thought as I continued on my ride.... and the only thing I concluded is that some people are just jerks regardless if they are on a bicycle or not.

I was very close to sending a commuter cyclist (a different one from the one mentioned above) to the hospital earlier that morning as he failed to stop on a stop sign. Oh, guess that's another completely different subject.

·
yup
2,739 Posts
tjjm36m3 said:
So as I approached the ramp, I unclipped one pedal and stopped to let him get off or pass without him stopping. He decided to get off the ramp and as he completely passed by me he said "WATCH OUT DING DONG". I was shocked as hell, and I shouted back "WTF?! I gave you the right of way!" He didn't reply or show any gesture but I knew he heard me. .
I'm sorry, but I laughed out loud when I read that. I mean you just don't expect that when you are being courteous. What an asshat! I mean thats so far beyond normal its funny. Mr. Grumpy is right to dislike everyone.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I probably pissed him off that I was even standing near the ramp; and in no way did I made him stop or even brake while getting off the ramp. After the words came out of his mouth, I was in shock and it took me a couple of seconds in my head what just happened!!!!You're right, no way in the world did I expect that!

·
(not a real racer)
484 Posts
I would have hucked a CO2 cart at him. That'll show him to not wave.

Well not really... I usually nod wave or whatever to people out riding. If they don't wave back no biggie, I just keep ridin'

Let's have fun out there people.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.