Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You no the cool headsets that the riders use in the tours for communications, I am interested in getting soom for team rides. Can anyone recommened particular units?
Cheers Terry

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
terry potter said:
You no the cool headsets that the riders use in the tours for communications, I am interested in getting soom for team rides. Can anyone recommened particular units?
Cheers Terry
What are "team rides", and why won't regular cell phones suffice if it is just a "ride"?

You do know that radios are illegal for USCF races below category 2, right?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Different kettle of fish

Big Bad John said:
I think you have to have a ham radio license to use what the pros use. I could be wrong though.
It is very likely that you can't use the same radios in the US that the pro teams use in the European tours (license or not), as the US (FCC) and Europeans don't use the same frequency bands or have the same regulations.

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Blue tooth headset and a cell phone? Mine I can place or receive a call by pushing a button on the earpiece. No wires and fairly comfortable.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Val_Garou said:

Somewhere I have pcitures of the actual team units that Disco uses but suffice it to say they are considerably nicer than any readily available units you'll find online or by walking into a store. The pro units aren't a walkie talkie type like the link but if you buy the walkie talkie type just make sure you get the right kind of earpiece with a microphone that must be activated by pressing a button on the cord and opening the mic.

Fwiw I have ridden in several team cars during uci races and when the riders try and talk to the directors it is very difficult to understand the riders. When the riders opened the mic the wind noise canceled a lot the speech and often the riders would leave the mic open. When it happened nobody can talk...

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
terry potter said:
Cheers Terry
Look at the Motorola FRS radios. Several models are available at any electronics big box, radio shack, sporting goods stores, and usually Target and Walmart as well. Price generally varies by range and features, but you don't need all that much for these purposes. Once you get above the most basic level, most have voice-activated transmission, and can take an over-ear headset to suit (often needs to be purchased separately.) Lower-end models usually are push-to-talk, which has both advantages and disadvantages. I use a VOX model, and it has this annoying tendency to have a lag of a second or so between starting to talk and starting to transmit. Just something to get used to, really. Say "mmmmm, Yes." You also need to adjust the sensitivity, or all you'll hear is one team member panting. PTT fixes that, but means that you need to get a hand off the bars.

I can't really give specific model recommendations, because my model is older. They also tend to get specific packaging on where they are sold - various combinations of rechargers, headsets, belt clips, and so on. Look around, and you may find ones with headsets provided.

·
Banned
608 Posts
terry potter said:
I am interested in getting soom for team rides.
I think we just entered a whole new level of poseurness.

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
:D
Might just be. I have mine for when my wife and I ride "together." Sometimes my go-fast gets the better of me, so I use 'em to call back the turns, or to be called back for assistance, as I serve as her personal mechanic, coach, and domestique.

Yeah, I know, (|). But it beats having her resent my hobbies and make me go shopping every Saturday.

My whupped-ness is a completely separate issue.

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Under ACrookedSky said:
*applies full car length CSC sticker to the Prius*
i dont know what you mean...
it isnt poseur! it's cool! :cool:

:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts