Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took a look at the temps this morning and headed out for my regular commute to work...

singlecross

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Pics 2

Everything was fine... roads were what I expected, a mix of ice, sand, and salt slush... studs were doing their thing... I even had to stop and take off a layer as took the back way to avoid traffic. I rolled past the old farms and the fishhouses with the traps put up for the winter.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Pics 3

It started to snow lightly and I decided to take the back, back way and enter the National Park where the roads are closed, and unplowed or maintained, for the winter and REALLY avoid any traffic. The surface was beautiful for biking with studs... About an inch of textured rhine ice on the bottom with another inch of drifted/compacted snow on top, and very consistent with no ruts from traffic.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Pics 4

My fenders were doing their best to contain the spray of snow from the tires... and my Thermos was doing its best to keep my tea hot and protected from the cold. I find hot tea a must when riding in the winter...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Pics 5

It got darker and started to snow harder as I climbed above town and looked out over the Bay... but the road was so nice I decided to blow off my morning at work and continue on the Loop Road to climb Cadillac Mt. one last time before it got snowed in for the winter.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Pics 6

Headed up into them thar hills with the snow still coming and the ice flowing over the rocks on the side of the climb.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Pics 7

Ice hanging over the rocks and the snow getting deeper as I climb higher.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pics 8

The wind picked up and the snow started blowing as I climbed and rounded the exposed side of the mountain. I had to start picking my way through the drifts that were forming. I was glad to have the MTB gearing on my bike. The 22T front on a 26T rear doesn't get used much but when it does...Phew!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Pics 9

Closer to the summit and the drifts got deep enough that I had to get off a few times and tromp through them as I'd start to drag my pedals and rear derailleur which would start to skip on the cassette.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference
-Robert Frost

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Pics 10

The summit was very windy and dark... lots of blowing snow and cold. Probably 30 MPH winds and 10*F... quite brisk with the wind chill. Time to get down off the mountain.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pics 11

Headed down into more reasonable conditions, so I took the time to get a self-portrait...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Pics 12

Around the last hairpin to get off the mountain and into town to my office. I pulled in at Noon instead of 9:00 and had worked up an appetite for some Mee Pud lunch from my friend at the Thai restaurant. Sitting at my desk in my warm office seemed a million miles away from where I'd been just an hour before on the summit. Despite the warmth and the tasty food, I think I liked the summit better...

singlecross

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Great to see- I've never been on the island in winter.

Unfortunately, I now have no excuse for wimping out on my commute..... :D

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I've never been there in winter, Sure looks different without all the tourists (like me). Nice pics.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,287 Posts
Great photo essay. You definitely da man! I've never ridden in snow so I got to ask, is descending on a frozen snowy road an invitation to break your neck?

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
We spent a week camping at Acadia National Park, and I'll have to say it is one of the most beautiful national parks and surprisingly "undiscovered." I didn't do any cycling there but a lot of hiking. If you live on the East Coast (or elsewhere) and you've never visited there, put it on your list of places to go.

One of my fondest memories is stopping at a roadside restaurant and ordering "lobster rolls" and fresh blueberry pie, while sitting outside at a table overlooking a harbor. I could have sat there eating pie all day. It was my daughter's first real experience camping, and she had the time of her life.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts