Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, thought I would share some pics of my commute in to Glasgow along the Forth and Clyde canal. The pictures aren't the best quality as they were taken on my phone.

·
Non non normal
10,103 Posts
Great pics but I have other questions. How many hives? What type of queens? How many pounds of honey? I need some pics.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I start off in Lenzie which is about 15 minutes out of the town centre if you get a train that runs on time, or a 45 minute cycle for me at the moment. The canal route is a bit longer at about 12 miles (according to memory map) than going by road, which is 9 miles. However the canal route is flat the whole way and there are no psychos driving their bmw x5s at 60 mph to contend with.
So to start off with I need to get on the canal path, which is in the next small town over from me called Kirkintilloch. The first pic is looking down Kirkintilloch road in to town, with the Campsie Fells in the background - lots of good climbs up there. There has been a settlement at Kirkintilloch since 142 AD when the romans built the Antonine wall, and built a fort where Kirkintilloch now stands.
Pictures 2 & 3 are of the town centre in Kirky where the canal goes through, and where I join the canal path, a short ramp helps me build speed as it goes down from the road level to canal level.
The canal path is mostly dirt track which gets pretty muddy as soon as it rains, which has led to ongoing indecision about my bike. At the moment I use an old Gary Fisher Marlin mtb with road tyres to do this commute, as I don't think the Scott CR1 that I got would stand up to the rigours of the route or be very comfortable! But that's another story.
Anyway, once on the canal path it takes me through the countryside to the north east of Glasgow as I make my way in to town.
The canal boats are about 2 miles in to my journey and moored beside a pub called the stables, quite a nice place with pretty good food. The canal path then takes me through some quiet farmland as I head towards Cadder and Bishopbriggs. At Cadder there is quite a nice church set off the road which looks really cool because it's kind of hidden behind the trees as I cycle past.
As I pass Bishopbriggs I hit the outskirts of Glasgow and it starts to get a bit more built up around and on the canal, as you can see from the huge pylon! After another couple of miles I have to leave the path, go down on to the road, under a bridge and up the other side, where the only climb of the route is located, shown in the picture with the bits of paper on the ground. It's very short, but quite steep, which is annoying at 8 in the morning.
After that there are 2 and a half miles to go until I leave the canal path at Spiers wharf, but not before the cobbles, which is where I'm glad of my suspension forks - there is a very small section where they didn't lay the cobbles flat side up!
As you can see from the pics once I get to Spiers wharf that's me in Glasgow, and all that remains for me to do is to get to work where I can enjoy my second breakfast. Last pic is Buchanan Street which is the main shopping street in Glasgow.

Sorry bigrider,I don't keep bees, I was watching a film about bees when I signed up. I do have a collection of wasp nests in my attic though!

No problems with neds as yet M.J. although I did pass a wee posse of buckie drinkers last friday who looked a bit shifty, however they didn't even try and slag me off as I rode by. Everyone who I've met so far has been fine, usually get some banter from cider drinking old timers.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hey BeeKeeper:Great pictures, thank you for sharing! Now I can say I've seen a wee bit o' Scotland like a native sees it. Gotta ask...what the HELL is going on with the honey bee die off? You experiencing this over there in Scotland? This best explanation I've read so far is that the increased ultraviolet radiation getting in because of the ozone hole is causing them to go blind, since about 1/3 of their seeing is in the UV frequency band. So, they're having probs finding flowers, and once they do, they're having probs finding the nectar, and even if they can do that, they're having probs find their way back to the hive again, as they navigate by the sun. That's why no one's finding any bodies...they're starving, and die off before they can make it back. Sounds like a B grade horror flick....and that's not even to mention Jacobi varisi (sp?) the bee mite.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Compare and contrast with a commute in from the Southside of the city which can be terrifying in comparison!

One question for any other Glasgow cyclists on this board, why do so many folk think that traffic lights don't apply to bikes???!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts