Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case anyone is interested, here is an example of an SRM file graphic from my commute home last night. The idea was to keep it primarily under 150 watts (recovery day, and 108 degrees), which equates to about 18-20 mph normally. *Had* to surge a few times to make lights, though. Lots of starting and stopping, as you can see.

The graph shows a scale of 0-500 watts on the left (green), and 0-30 mph (purple), and then on the right, heart rate of 80-160 bpm, and cadence of 0-110 rpm. Smoothing is set to zero, but sampling was set at 5 second periods, so that all the data are a minimum of 5 second averages.

What amazed me most when I first put the power meter on the commuter bike is how hard I was pushing on accellerations, when I was intending to have an easy day. While intending to max at 150 watts, being a recovery ride, I found myself hitting 978 watts pulling away from a light. My guess is that that kind of effort takes a toll on the legs, disproportionate to the benefits obtained. That is, unless I can find some standing start 100 yard races around.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
strange

mohair_chair said:
You must be the only person in the entire world with a power meter on your commuter bike!
Yes, I think it's a real frankenbike. Cobalt blue Soma Smoothie ES, carbon fork, black Mavic Askium wheels, Gatorskin tires, Campy 10 speed cassette, Campy Chorus rear derailleur, Shimano Ultegra front derailleur, polished aluminum Chris King headset, black ITM stem, bull horns with Campy bar end shifters and upside down brake levers under the bars, carbon fiber FSA/SRM cranks with 53x38 rings, yellow Crank Bros. Candy C pedals, with a huge seat bag, Dinnotte 600L head light and 200L tail light. Blue plastic bottle cage for downtube, and metal cage for holding plastic tool/spares container on seat tube, with mini-pump attached, cheapo aluminum seatpost and worn out Selle Italia SLR TT saddle. Removed the trunk bag, rack, and fenders for summer use. Oh, and a bell for MUT use. I'll post some photos.

Since commuting is a huge part of my training, and now that I'm working with a coach, it seemed like a good idea to be able to put the SRM on it, too.

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes

averen said:
The Smoothie ES is a great bike...I LOVE mine...but my setup isn't quite as "frankenbike" as yours :)

Jared
Great bang for the buck. Nothing like a $3000 crank on a $250 frame!

· No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
frankenphotos

How many bikes have a bell right next to an SRM? ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.