Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday - weatherwise, was the most spectacular day. This was only ~36.6 mile commute - left Cedartown, Georgia via the Silver Comet Trail, went over the "mountain" via back roads, hooked up with the Chief Ladiga (la-DIE-ga) Trail in Alabama and rode that until I got to Jacksonville, Alabama.

I've done this route several times - always beautiful, always fun. I teach students at a local high school - we did not have school yesterday. I haven't enjoyed a ride like that in a long time. Hope to do some mountain biking today w/my 16 year old son today at Berry College - they have ~65 miles of fire roads & single track).

In the photos you can see my ride - it performed near-flawlessly (shifts great except for the 2nd largest cog - strange, eh?).

I am certainly not a photographer - sorry for the low-quality pics.

Hopefully, I'd like to lead a ride - er, organize a ride, where all you people meet up and we do this route, or something similar. I think the combined Silver Comet Trail and Chief Ladiga Trail make for about 100 miles of riding. Unfortunately, there are a few gaps in the trails. The SCT is 10 foot wide "concrete slab" and the CLT is 8 foot wide asphalt (needing repairs in some areas).

Happy riding,

Steel_SSer
:)

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,035 Posts
That looks like an awesome ride.

For some reason, I thought I remembered reading that your Surly was a single-speed. Maybe I'm thrown off by your handle.

Steel_SSer said:
I am certainly not a photographer - sorry for the low-quality pics.
Let me know when you post 'em.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Photos look great to me. Just turn off the option for that "date thing" on your camera in case you ever want to frame something.

Nice report!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had spec'd out the Cross-Check as a SS - it came out to ~$1,100 the way I wanted it, then I began thinking about the hills around North Georgia, so I just got the (really inexpensive) ready-built Cross-Check and I'll upgrade as stuff wears out. As is, this bike is the most bang for the buck bike I've ever purchased - new or used - I love it - especially the "toss-n-go 'coz it's rugged" factor.

Light - schmight! Let's go riding!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts