Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a good looking annual plan layed out for the 2006 training season thanks to the help of you guys. For my base period I want to start doing some riding to work, it's a 20mile commute each way which is where the problem is. For the month of February I'm going to be riding about 4-6hrs/week, if I ride to and from work 3 days a week then I'm already at 6hrs of riding. However, since I'm technically only riding 20 miles then after 8 hours I'm riding another 20 miles (about 1hr each way), should I cut that in half training wise since I'm not doing all 2hrs+/- at once? In other words will I be pushing it if I get a ride in on the weekend as well or as long as I keep my rides to work easy should the mileage thing not even be an issue?

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
DRLski said:
I've got a good looking annual plan layed out for the 2006 training season thanks to the help of you guys. For my base period I want to start doing some riding to work, it's a 20mile commute each way which is where the problem is. For the month of February I'm going to be riding about 4-6hrs/week, if I ride to and from work 3 days a week then I'm already at 6hrs of riding. However, since I'm technically only riding 20 miles then after 8 hours I'm riding another 20 miles (about 1hr each way), should I cut that in half training wise since I'm not doing all 2hrs+/- at once? In other words will I be pushing it if I get a ride in on the weekend as well or as long as I keep my rides to work easy should the mileage thing not even be an issue?
You won't lose too much splitting it into 2 workouts but i'd take a relaxed aproach to the comute miles maybe credit it with half training time. It won't get your body too tired during the comute but play around a little. See how you feel with comuting and some base miles. or just incorporate it... on your ride home swing by, drop off your work stuff and keep the ride going... you'll be warm and ready for intervals!

·
More Cowbell!
4,832 Posts
DRLski said:
However, since I'm technically only riding 20 miles then after 8 hours I'm riding another 20 miles (about 1hr each way), should I cut that in half training wise since I'm not doing all 2hrs+/- at once? In other words will I be pushing it if I get a ride in on the weekend as well or as long as I keep my rides to work easy should the mileage thing not even be an issue?
It's two workouts. You can't just discount the miles -- you will feel them in your legs for sure. I suggest that make one commute -- probably the morning one -- a recovery ride. Incorporate higher intensity training into the evening ride home. With the 20 mile rides, you will likely have to adjust your totals on the fly.

Are long races your goal? I race cross and I've successfully incorporated my 5-day a week 6 mile commute into my training plan. Usually I lengthen one of the legs and do real training and just ride recovery on the short leg.

In any event, don't stress out that you aren't getting 2hr rides in. You can fit excellent interval training sessions into a 20 mile ride. If you have the weekends free, then that's where you do longer rides. Saving Mon and Fri for rest will be good since 2-a-day workouts take their toll. Perhaps try cross training on one or both off days depending on how you feel and your training schedule.

Cross races are 40-60 minutes -- much like crits. I spent 6-12 hours a week on the bike depending on what part of my schedule I was on. That's counting all my commuting hours too. I was competitive in the "middle" masters class and will be racing the A/Open masters class next season and I don't plan on changing my hours.

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet, just what I wanted to know, thanks!

·
aka Zoo
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, lots of feedback here, I really appreciate it. I just finished the cyclocross season and am almost done my aerobic reintro. Gonna start my base next week and wanted to start riding to work to get some of those base miles in. Sounds great though, thanks all. 3 days a week to work and then longer rides on the weekends. On Mondays and Wendesdays I do Yoga/Pilates to help me stretch out and recover. And yes, I want to do well in the longer races, my BIG races aren't until July and August so I wanted to get as many miles in as possible in february and march and some of april and then start up my build in april. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts