Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aside from panniers.

I need a recommendation for a bag that's either easy enough to wash every week or that doesn't absorb odor and smell like a gym locker.

I've got a Dakine backpack- in many ways, it's the perfect bag- it's big enough to hold what I usually carry, it's compact and it's got about a dozen compartments. BUT, it currently stinks. It's a pain in the butt to wash- can't toss it in the washer, hand washing it is difficult.

I'm not a huge fan of messenger bags- they never fit right, one giant pocket means my lunch and my clothes are in the same compartment which can be disastrous... and panniers are just out at the moment. Loved them for a while, not liking their lack of flexibility (can't easily switch between bikes)

any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a Chrome Ivan backpack that I like pretty well. It's actually a little too big, I'd get the Pawn if I could do it over again. It has 1 main pocket, 1 big zipper pocket and 2 exterior pockets. It's waterproof and seems very durable.

It hasn't gotten stank and I've never washed it in about 9 months of daily use. Take that for what it's worth.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
Use a small trash bag as a liner- when it smells, replace it.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
saf-t said:
Use a small trash bag as a liner- when it smells, replace it.

if the stink is from buck's back sweating all over the bag that won't help... pretty much anything- except leather, but you don't see too many leather ms bags/backpacks- can be tossed in the wash and hung to dry or machine dried. some ms bags have dividers, you know or you can put your stuff in plastic bags

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
FatTireFred said:
if the stink is from buck's back sweating all over the bag that won't help... pretty much anything- except leather, but you don't see too many leather ms bags/backpacks- can be tossed in the wash and hung to dry or machine dried. some ms bags have dividers, you know or you can put your stuff in plastic bags

If that's the issue, I'd get one of those dry bags with shoulder straps- I have something like that for my foul weather gear when I'm fishing, and I can wash cod stink of it with a sponge and regular liquid dish soap. If he smells worse than codfish, that's a bigger problem than what bag to get :D :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Although I now use a rack and an Ortlieb Classic Back Roller, the best backpack I ever used and still do from time to time is the SealLine Urban. It is waterproof and pretty much impervious to stink. Even if you stink like a hog, you could stick it under a hot shower (still with your gear inside) to wash it if you had to.

Here is the link - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/sealline/urban/urban-backpack/product

I have the small one and an internal divider and it rocks!

HillBilly

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HillBillies said:
Although I now use a rack and an Ortlieb Classic Back Roller, the best backpack I ever used and still do from time to time is the SealLine Urban. It is waterproof and pretty much impervious to stink. Even if you stink like a hog, you could stick it under a hot shower (still with your gear inside) to wash it if you had to.

Here is the link - http://www.cascadedesigns.com/en/sealline/urban/urban-backpack/product

I have the small one and an internal divider and it rocks!

HillBilly
That SealLine urban is pretty nice- the problem for me is the foam padding soaks up sweat. Or more to the point, my sweat finds a way to soak into even closed cell foam, and once it gets in, the bag is gonna stink and my office is going to smell like a freaking locker room. Maybe I just need to hit it with febreze.

Tarwheel- I like the idea of the big saddle bag, but they require a support to work without hitting my legs and they're a pain in the butt to take on and off a bike... I've seen a non-bolted on hoop-style bag support that might work, though. Do you find it messes up your handling at all?

Since my bike is set up for a front bag, what I really ought to do is invest in one of the really big berthoud front bags instead of the small knock-off I've got on there now... Just don't want to spend quite that much and my sewing skills aren't that good...

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
How about something like this? The mesh panel keeps the body of the bag several inches from your back.....

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saf-t said:
How about something like this? The mesh panel keeps the body of the bag several inches from your back.....

If there's mesh, there's something for my superstank can soak into.

The Dakine bag I've got now is awesome- the foam is closed-cell,, it holds the body of the bag away from my body, it's molded with venting channels, but the foam still touches my body and it gets stanky...

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
tarwheel2 said:
My commuter bag doesn't stink because it never touches my back, never gets sweat on it.
That's the same setup I use. It's waaaaay too hot here in the summer to have anything on one's back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm confused as to why you can't machine wash your dakine backpack. If you put it in the washer with something else substantial and forgiving and the same color, I can't see how things could go wrong. I wash my camelbak several times a months to combat the funk. I haven't had any issues at all.

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dustyrider said:
I'm confused as to why you can't machine wash your dakine backpack. If you put it in the washer with something else substantial and forgiving and the same color, I can't see how things could go wrong. I wash my camelbak several times a months to combat the funk. I haven't had any issues at all.
Last time I washed a backpack it was never the same- every raw edge frayed, seams weakened, straps got weird, foam re-shaped... So I'm a little leary of machine washing. It's one of those things where aside from the stank, it's the perfect pack and I'd hate to lose it...

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
buck-50 said:
Tarwheel- I like the idea of the big saddle bag, but they require a support to work without hitting my legs and they're a pain in the butt to take on and off a bike... I've seen a non-bolted on hoop-style bag support that might work, though. Do you find it messes up your handling at all?.
The Carradice Bagman rack has a quick-release version that takes seconds to remove the bag. In my experience, you do need a rack for the Carradice bags. However, Acorn sells a similar bag with a leather "stand-off" that supposedly keeps the bag from hitting your legs without a rack. Rivendell and Velo-Orange sell seatbag racks that don't bolt to the saddle but they don't have the quick-release mechanism that the Carradice rack has.

Regarding handling, my Carradice Barley affects handling much less that the rear rack and rack-top bag that I used before it. The weight is centered just behind the saddle with a Carradice bag, so it has minimal effects on handling.

·
The web is a MUT
1,373 Posts
I'm just going to throw this into the discussion, then bow out:

Go to a local thrift shop and hits lots of yard/garage/rummage sales and buy several bags to your liking. Use until the stank grows to an unacceptable level then then throw it away and swap to the next one. Around here backpacks, daypacks, and small duffle bags sell for $1-$5 each. I've even seen a variety of messenger style company logo'd bags and laptop bags for the same price range.

If you do this though, please don't donate the stanked bag back to the thrift shop when you're done with it, thanks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree with Treebound. Ive always used thriftstore bags and even gotten new ones for under 5 bucks. Use then replace often.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a chrome citizen and LOVE it. It has a lifetime warranty and you can wash it as many times as you want and all that will happen is it will break it in quicker then not washing it. If you are looking for a bag that you can wash, torture, and beat the living hell out of this is the way to go.

P.S. The compartment is huge, it fits a 12-pack of Miller High Life bottles comfortably. :)

·
Shrewdest Unit Mover
1,483 Posts
BikeLV702 said:
I have a chrome citizen and LOVE it. It has a lifetime warranty and you can wash it as many times as you want and all that will happen is it will break it in quicker then not washing it. If you are looking for a bag that you can wash, torture, and beat the living hell out of this is the way to go.

P.S. The compartment is huge, it fits a 12-pack of Miller High Life bottles comfortably. :)
I have the same one. The PVC inside also allows for 12 cans and a 1/2 bag of ice, without leakage.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts