Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys! i'm in the market for a new bike and after about two hours of scrounging around the internet i still have NO IDEA where to start. i haven't owned a bike since i was a child so i know squat about specs and brands and fancy terminology. i was hoping maybe i could get a fairly simple recommendation of where to go to find the bike i want.

basically what i need is something to get me to and from work (only a couple miles from my house) and the occasional local errand. the biggest problem i have is that i can only afford around $100 after shipping, plus about $20-30 in accessories (locks, reflectors, carrying cases, whatever); $150 total being the max. i do know that i want a lady's bike and as much comfort as possible. weather resistant and good brakes are a must, lightweight with extra suspension and some sort of keep-the-mud-off-the-uniform is a plus.

thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
That is a tall order. What is your goal?

- To save money commuting?
- To get in better shape?
- To have fun with an easy to maintain bike?
- How often do you plan on riding it?
etc.

I would suggest you hit up a local bike ship or two and get some idea of what you are looking at quality/price wise. At that price point you are talking about getting a very very low quality bike, likely from a department store, with a lot of weight, poor parts, and poor service on top of it.

·
Done with winter.
2,635 Posts
The extent of my knowledge of Texarkana comes from Smokey and the Bandit but it appears there is a Craigslist for your area which just so happens to have this listing. Sounds like a solid bike, just swap out the tires for 26" slicks and you're good to go.

Otherwise, in that price range just look for a solid mountain bike from a brand you'd find in an actual bike shop. Add new tires and whatever accessories you need to start out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try used

Check your local craigslist - if your economy isn't too skewed by people inflating prices for "vintage" bikes, a nice old steel which may not look the best, but runs great, is smack in the middle of your price range. Also older mountain bikes, hard tail and no front shocks should go for about that much. 100 won't buy too much in a lbs unfortunately.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nickel II said:
- To save money commuting?
- To get in better shape?
- To have fun with an easy to maintain bike?
- How often do you plan on riding it?
- yes
- yes
- yes
- weather permitting

i just started this job a couple months ago, and since it's pretty much down the road from where i live it seems silly to just drive. so sure, mix a glob of gas money with a splash of getting off my butt for 20 min a day, then throw in a pinch of save an ozone or two. but i hate the thought of dropping sixty bucks on the rusted pawn shop heaps i looked at when i could get a brand new one for 100 to 160. but knowing nothing about the market they all kinda sound the same to me...which is where you guys come in!

·
Registered
417 Posts
asterisk said:
The extent of my knowledge of Texarkana comes from Smokey and the Bandit but it appears there is a Craigslist for your area which just so happens to have this listing. Sounds like a solid bike, just swap out the tires for 26" slicks and you're good to go.

Otherwise, in that price range just look for a solid mountain bike from a brand you'd find in an actual bike shop. Add new tires and whatever accessories you need to start out.
Wow searched through all these listings to find that bike!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts