Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna be driving about a 130 mile round trip a day, but thankfully, w/ little to no traffic.

something cheap, w/ very good gas mileage.

I want to spend around 4K - knowing that will mean a car w around 100K miles. but I need something relatively reliable.

I've been thinking about picking up a 98-99 VW diesel, or a similar (gas) Honda Civic.

ideas?

·
Captain Obvious
11,876 Posts
i was going to suggest a used jetta tdi or honda civic, so i'm not much help i guess.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A 1992-1996 honda civic with manual trans. Mine routinely gets 38-40+ mpg on non-highway driving. Get one that has not been owned by someone under the age of 35, as they are fun little cars to abuse and modify. A nice old lady who had the dealer do all the service on the dot is ideal.

I think the blue book on a well-kempt one is just a tad over $2000 with 130k or so miles. If the car is well cared for, these little things will go for 300k+ miles without a hiccup.

·
Game on, b*tches!
13,467 Posts
2nd the Corolla. Run forever and probably can be had for less than a Civic. I'd steer clear of any VW's...

·
Not a rocket surgeon.
9,402 Posts
Kram said:
2nd the Corolla. Run forever and probably can be had for less than a Civic. I'd steer clear of any VW's...
Steer clear of the VW's they are great cars and get great mileage but cost a bundle to repair. The Corolla is a good choice. You can get a replacement engine for them for 500.00 all day long and thats the worst thing that will ever go wrong.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
Kram said:
One of mine turned 14 years old last week. Not one single repair that was not regular maintenance. 200K miles and I still get high 30's MPG.

Had a Volkswagen jetta. 2nd worst car I ever owned (Intrepid was the worst).

·
It's all ball bearings
5,258 Posts
Corolla. Toyota's repair themselves at night while you are sleeping, dontcha know.

// I frequently rent little econo boxes for work, and the best ones to drive are the Kia's and Hyundai's. But they are newer, and out of your $4K budget. And I have no idea how they do on maint.

The worst car I have rented (and driven...EVAR) is a Chevy Aveo. P. O. S. It's the only car that I have ever driven and actually gotten carsick as the driver.

·
Rep *****.
9,795 Posts
BenWA said:
Corolla. Toyota's repair themselves at night while you are sleeping, dontcha know.
Toyota has mechanics that come around and maintain your car while you sleep. Its a conspiracy to make the medium 3 look bad.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
crispy010 said:
A 1992-1996 honda civic with manual trans. Mine routinely gets 38-40+ mpg on non-highway driving. Get one that has not been owned by someone under the age of 35, as they are fun little cars to abuse and modify. A nice old lady who had the dealer do all the service on the dot is ideal.

I think the blue book on a well-kempt one is just a tad over $2000 with 130k or so miles. If the car is well cared for, these little things will go for 300k+ miles without a hiccup.
+1 on the Civic, but good luck finding one these days. Prices have soared since the economy crapped out. We've had two, a '96 that's still running (for somebody else) at 220,000 miles and a 2000 that's over 175K and hasn't had anything but normal maintenance.. It's even still running the original rear brakes (I replaced the front pads). Also +1 on finding one that hasn't been driven by a kid. A LOT of them are just beat to crap.
A Toyota Corolla or Tercel would be good, too. My son's Tercel is about to turn 190K and almost needs a new trans, but that's the first thing he's done to it. It still gets 38-40

·
Ethical Nihilist
1,068 Posts
Corolla. I usually commute by bike, but do use the car on occasion.

My corolla is a 1993 with manual transmission and113K miles on it.

I've been real happy with it.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, VW's out, I need better mileage than Suby's get, so I'll be looking at a Corolla or a Civic (preferably one that's been air-bagged, neon-lighted, turbo'd, intercooled, winged, etc) Civic's that haven't been mauled by 20 something kids are hard to find.

Motorcycle commuting - makes sense, but I need somewhere to stash my bike for lunch-time and after work rides.

·
Squirrel Hunter
3,806 Posts
12 Hours

rellimreeb said:
Gonna be driving about a 130 mile round trip a day...

something cheap, w/ very good gas mileage...
Since you will be spending 12 plus hours a week in this car make sure it is comfortable and is something you want to spend more time riding in than you spend in the woman you love in any given week.

Having had my son go through a number of cars in that price range I gotta recommend the Hondas or Toyotas as all the rest were money pits or spent more time in the driveway leaking crap than on the road. Maybe upgrade to an Accord rather than a Civic if you can find the right deal although I am perfectly happy with my RSX(=Civic).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts