Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to throw some thinner wheels on an old mountain bike that i'm gonna use as a commuter. The bike is an old Bridgestone MB3 and is still in great shape. The frame is surprisingly light weight and doesn't look bulky at all. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of super-durable wheels and tires I can use that aren't mtb tires?

Would it be strange to put a set of road tires on it? :confused:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Unless you run discs or weld...

There are few if ANY frames that you'd still have brakes on. If you run discs it's easy. Otherwise stay with 26" rims. The easiest answer would be to get some decent quality hubs and lace up a set of nice XC race hoops. If you DO indeed have discs just use your current disc hubs and lace them up to some nice WIDE 700c rims. Wider = better for commuting. I used 32-35 tires. Fave hoops were WTB dual duty. The spokes on a disc/700c wheelset are a beotch...no two sides are the same length. So have them built instead of doing them yourself. You'll actually save money. Mike

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
solid174 said:
I want to throw some thinner wheels on an old mountain bike that i'm gonna use as a commuter. The bike is an old Bridgestone MB3 and is still in great shape. The frame is surprisingly light weight and doesn't look bulky at all. Anyone have any suggestions on what kind of super-durable wheels and tires I can use that aren't mtb tires?

Here in DC you see lots of folks commuting on their ATBs with 1.25 slicks-makes for a great ride and no need to change wheels.

Give it a try before investing in new wheels.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
As MB1 said, no need to replace your wheels. If you do however, you may want to consider the Velocity Cliff Hanger. This is available in 36-spoke and has thicker sidewalls. That is a rugged commuter wheel.

The best non-knobby tire I've found is the Panaracer Pasela Tourguard, available in 26x1.25 from Rivendell.

·
Commuter ***** Lurker
76 Posts
solid174 said:

I run Panaracer Paselas or the T-Servs and they work great on 26 inch wheels. Let me tell you - if you have been riding on road with knobbies - when you put on the skinny slicks - prepare to feel fast!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts