Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have a pair of ritchey wheels that came stock (20 spoke front, 24 spoke rear). They seem a bit squishy, and I don't think they'll make the winter. Looking to spend up to 350 or so. Recommendations? I weigh about 178--bike is a soma double cross, and use the bike on MUTs, gravel, and city streets. A cross race is also not out of the question this year.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
If you don't mind the extra weight in the rims, Deep Vs are practically bombproof. My weight is same as you and I have a set built on Dura Ace 7400 hubs(so you know they are old) with 28 DB spokes front and rear that just keep going and going.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
i went with OP + DT Comp spokes on my beater/commuter bike (tricross)
32h F&R 3x

·
Online Wheel Builder
3,213 Posts
On my commuter I run Kinlin XR300s. They are absolutely bombproof and are a bit lighter than the Deep V. I am 215 and even I think that the Deep V is a bit overkill. Are you an especially large rider or do you just want a wheel that will survive being hit by a Mack truck?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
More like a pickup. The potholes suck in the winter. How many spokes are on the kinlins at your weight?

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I have several sets of Open Pros and a set of deep V CXP 30's. Commute daily on fairly bad streets. Weigh 185-190. So far I have not managed to damage my OP's. The CXP 30's are way more rigid and heavier and to help with comfort I'm using 25mm tires on them. To answer the OP's question, my vote would be for the OP's.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear you build wheels. ;-)
What would a set of those cost on ultegra or velocity hubs? Feel free to PM with the answer. I'm just trying to get a sense of what the options are. The BWW deal on OPs looks pretty good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently built up some open pro's on 240's hubs and have had nothing but trouble with the rear wheel. Destroyed the first rim and the second started wobbling last night .
Anyone else notice a quality drop off in the MAvic Rim products over the past year or soo?

·
Registered
891 Posts
I would say the Deep-V or Kinlin XR-300 (as Zen suggested) will be better for your usage than an Open Pro. Even a DT Swiss RR465 will be a little better than an Open Pro, or you can go to a wider rim like a DT Swiss TK540, Velocity A23, Velocity Synergy, etc. To keep the price in your range you can use 105 or Ultegra hubs and 14/15G spokes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
valleycyclist said:
I would say the Deep-V or Kinlin XR-300 (as Zen suggested) will be better for your usage than an Open Pro. Even a DT Swiss RR465 will be a little better than an Open Pro, or you can go to a wider rim like a DT Swiss TK540, Velocity A23, Velocity Synergy, etc. To keep the price in your range you can use 105 or Ultegra hubs and 14/15G spokes.
Great suggestions !
I ordering the DT - TK 540's in the morning , no more of this mavic crap wasting my time truing wheels all weekend I want to be out riding .

·
Registered
891 Posts
evil4bc said:
Great suggestions !
I ordering the DT - TK 540's in the morning , no more of this mavic crap wasting my time truing wheels all weekend I want to be out riding .
If you are just replacing rims the ERD is 600 on the TK540 and ~603 for an Open Pro, so the spokes may be a little long.

·
Registered
12 Posts
valleycyclist said:
If you are just replacing rims the ERD is 600 on the TK540 and ~603 for an Open Pro, so the spokes may be a little long.
Thanks for the very helpful info .
I'll be ordering new hubs , rims , spokes ( have spoke cutting machine ) for the entire set .

·
Registered
157 Posts
Another plug for the Kinlins, I have the XR30's with DT 240 hubs 28/28 and they have been very good to me and I weigh 230!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts