Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about moving to a new apartment, where commuting by bike would be an option. The question I have (admittedly a bit odd) is, for those of you who commute, are you still excited to ride on the weekend, or is a bike the last thing you want to see on Saturday?

· Banned
7,191 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
I'm thinking about moving to a new apartment, where commuting by bike would be an option. The question I have (admittedly a bit odd) is, for those of you who commute, are you still excited to ride on the weekend, or is a bike the last thing you want to see on Saturday?
I am so very excited to be able to get out and really stretch my legs on the weekend. Commuting during the week is nice, but it's the same route over and over.

· Registered
1,002 Posts
I still look forward to my weekend rides, where I can plan a new route, add some extra miles, not worry about time, and cycle with a partner. Exploring is great. Commutes just keep me from losing ground fitness-wise between weekend rides!

· Premium Member
21,853 Posts
The other day Miss M and I were talking about folks who live in the 'burbs and how they are forced to drive every day of the year just because of where they live and how their neighborhoods are designed.

As cyclists living inside a city with a fairly good transportation infrastructure we get to choose if we want to ride or not-there are lots of options available to us.

For us the answer is always yes. Not sometimes yes, or often yes but ALWAYS yes.

· Registered
1,017 Posts
Yes, I still ride on the weekend... This year is the first year that I have done the local Sunday morning group ride with a group of pretty quick riders... I have made Sunday my hard ride and my commutes have become more slower/ recovery/ enjoy the scenery type rides. I never regret getting on the bike once I'm on it and pedaling...

singlecross

· Back from the dead
20,800 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
I've been commuting for years and used to do big rides every weekend with no problems. Now with a 3-month old kid, it's tough to get out on a decent weekend ride. These days, I tend to ride hard on my commute, because it is most of the riding I get to do. Then when I do get an opportunity to ride on the weekend, I find that my legs are dead!

· Registered
110 Posts
mohair_chair said:
I've been commuting for years and used to do big rides every weekend with no problems. Now with a 3-month old kid, it's tough to get out on a decent weekend ride. These days, I tend to ride hard on my commute, because it is most of the riding I get to do. Then when I do get an opportunity to ride on the weekend, I find that my legs are dead!
+1

I have a 6 year old, 2 year old, and 3 month old twins. If I don't ride on the way to/from work, it does not happen. I had the day off today and managed to get in 30 miles, but I was done by 7:30am.

I communte on a fixed gear. Weekend rides (when they happen) I am able to take out the geared or TT bike.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
I commute 5x a week and am excited to ride on the weekends, too. I like to ride my road bike for recreational distance rides and I like to ride my commute bike for whatever errands I can. Commuting does not in any way decrease my interest in riding on weekends or weekdays.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I bike commute 3-4 days/week but still look forward to weekend rides. Weekends are for riding long and fast, riding with my friends. Commute are the same old route every day, usually much slower pace. Better than driving, but not as much fun as riding 50-60 miles with friends.

· Big is relative
11,901 Posts
I usually only ride one day on the weekend if I commuted all week. My commute is somewhat long (43 miles RT) so after ten 21.5 mile rides, I am a little burnt out. I really enjoy my road bike and usually have comments made about how clean it is. Riding it once a week helps. I usually do a 50+ mile ride and explore new roads or rediscover old ones. I usually have some goal in mind like riding over to Bainbridge Island for coffee or meeting a group for an enjoyable ride. I used to be a hardcore racer, crits and road races every weekend for eight months out of the year. Nowadays, it is all about getting to and from work, puttering around the house, and riding the nice bike on the weekend. Maybe I'll race next year when I'm 44 before I move up to the next age bracket.

· Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
bigbill said:
I usually only ride one day on the weekend if I commuted all week. My commute is somewhat long (43 miles RT) so after ten 21.5 mile rides, I am a little burnt out. I really enjoy my road bike and usually have comments made about how clean it is. Riding it once a week helps. I usually do a 50+ mile ride and explore new roads or rediscover old ones. I usually have some goal in mind like riding over to Bainbridge Island for coffee or meeting a group for an enjoyable ride. I used to be a hardcore racer, crits and road races every weekend for eight months out of the year. Nowadays, it is all about getting to and from work, puttering around the house, and riding the nice bike on the weekend. Maybe I'll race next year when I'm 44 before I move up to the next age bracket.
We must be clones. My commute is only a paltry 36 mile RT. I always ride 1 weekend day, usually Sat. She, Who Must Be Obeyed doesn't like to be a bike widow, and she rides very, very seldom. She tells me I can pick what weekend day I want to ride, but the other day, "Your ass is mine." :eek: :D

· Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
I ride on the weekend. I normally take one weekend day off.

· Fahrrad fahren
234 Posts
How far would your new commute be? When I had a 16 mile round trip, I was always up for recreational riding. Now that the ride is a 30 mile round trip, I'm finding that if I bike commute more than two days a week, my interest wanes a bit. I still will go out for group rides and such, but the solo rides I used to love so much I can make excuses to skip.

· Stumpcake!
5,950 Posts
I commuted 2 days this week...took Friday off....and I'm going to be riding in the NC mountains on Saturday (home is near Atlanta). I can't wait for morning to hurry up and get here so I can start the sufferfest! It won't be too bad though, I think I'm going to lug my dslr with me so I'll stop a good bit. Still very excited though.

· Gruntled
3,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hjalti said:
How far would your new commute be?
10 miles each way. Slightly uphill in the morning, downhill in the evening. I'll only be riding 3 days a week, since I go to school 2 nights and need my car for that. I don't think 60 miles / week of commuting would burn me out, but I just wanted to hear others' experiences. Thanks to all!

· Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
If possible, get a completely different rig for commuting. The more different the better.

I use either my fixie or my cruiser-fabulous Double Cross for commuting, and it feels like a completely different activity than when I get on my road bike on the weekend.

I also only usually commute a few times a week (usually my longer commutes are by bike, the shorter ones by car).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.