Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fossil fuel is a non-renewable resource. That means that once that energy resource has become completely exhausted, it will exist no longer. That will spell the end of life as we currently know it, today. The world now consumes over 95 million barrels of crude oil per day. There are 42 gallons of crude oil contained in one barrel. However, only about 10% of that crude oil can actually be distilled and refined into gasoline for motor vehicles. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to determine our ultimate human fate, if we continue on our current course of fossil fuel dependence.

As our Carbon footprint increases, the life light of future humanity dims. The world will become gradually warmer. Ice caps will continue to melt and recede at an alarming rate. Human existence will drastically decline as the rate of ecosystem change, will be greater than the rate of human adaptation.

Let's all hope that the cycling community continues to increase and that we will continue to do our part by commuting by bicycle more often, and encouraging others to do the same. Let's decrease our Carbon footprint.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Reducing air pollution and conserving energy are some of the many reasons that I commute. It also saves me gas money, parking fees and reduces the wear-and-tear on my vehicle. My biggest reasons for commuting, however, are that it provides an easy way to ride more on weekdays and stay fit.

BTW, the website that I use to track my cycling mileage (My Cycling Log) also calculates your "CO2 emissions," or the lbs of CO2 emissions that you avoided by commuting. My total is 12.89 tons since I started bike commuting 6 years ago.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reducing air pollution and conserving energy are some of the many reasons that I commute. It also saves me gas money, parking fees and reduces the wear-and-tear on my vehicle. My biggest reasons for commuting, however, are that it provides an easy way to ride more on weekdays and stay fit.

BTW, the website that I use to track my cycling mileage (My Cycling Log) also calculates your "CO2 emissions," or the lbs of CO2 emissions that you avoided by commuting. My total is 12.89 tons since I started bike commuting 6 years ago.
Good for you, Tarwheel2! :thumbsup:

Now if we could only convince a billion more people...

·
Ya, what ATP said...!
2,140 Posts
My car saw 1,000 miles last year and got washed twice. I commuted over 6,500 miles last year by bicycle and saved over $1,400 dollars in bus fair. I think between tires/tubes and chains, I put $400 into the commute bike. I ride with a pretty dedicated group of lads that logged over 65,000 miles in 2012. We're pretty proud of that. I get the OP and am trying to do my part. Just saw Chasing Ice last night and am even more dedicated to my commute now!!

It's worth finding and renting:
Chasing Ice

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My car saw 1,000 miles last year and got washed twice. I commuted over 6,500 miles last year by bicycle and saved over $1,400 dollars in bus fair. I think between tires/tubes and chains, I put $400 into the commute bike. I ride with a pretty dedicated group of lads that logged over 65,000 miles in 2012. We're pretty proud of that. I get the OP and am trying to do my part. Just saw Chasing Ice last night and am even more dedicated to my commute now!!
The world needs more of us who are willing to commit to health, environmental concerns, and our futures. We are supposed to be the guardians of our ecosystem, not the destroyers of it!

I thank you for your cycling contribution, my friend!

·
Cycling Dolomiti Friuli
14,606 Posts
As our Carbon footprint increases, the life light of future humanity dims. The world will become gradually warmer. Ice caps will continue to melt and recede at an alarming rate. Human existence will drastically decline as the rate of ecosystem change, will be greater than the rate of human adaptation.
I'm with you on commuting (I do 22km each way to/from school twice per week). I wouldn't be so sure on the human adaptation thing though- we are right up there with rats and cockroaches. Population will likely decline (which would be good) but I don't see the species' existence in peril.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I'm with you on commuting (I do 22km each way to/from school twice per week). I wouldn't be so sure on the human adaptation thing though- we are right up there with rats and cockroaches. Population will likely decline (which would be good) but I don't see the species' existence in peril.
Hopefully, you're correct, and the Wheel of Samsara will more resemble a roulette wheel than the one that doles out our collective karmic future.

Thank you for both recognizing and playing a more responsible role in this most important environmental ordeal.

·
Cowboy up
3,886 Posts
Implementing end-use energy efficiency along with clean energy and reducing the emissions of global warming pollutants is the most important issue of our time.

I'm not concerned, however, about our world supplies of fossil fuels. We have enough fossil fuels to destroy a livable climate a few times over.

Now at 395 ppm CO2 today and rising fast! 280 ppm CO2 pre industrial age.
Climate Change: Vital Signs of the Planet

A few helpful links about climate and global warming.

RealClimate: Keystone XL: Game over?

RealClimate: Start here

Climate Progress | ThinkProgress

Global Warming and Climate Change skepticism examined

·
Registered
40 Posts
Implementing end-use energy efficiency along with clean energy and reducing the emissions of global warming pollutants is the most important issue of our time.

I'm not concerned, however, about our world supplies of fossil fuels. We have enough fossil fuels to destroy a livable climate a few times over.

It would depend on the source of the electricity and heat for the buildings, but if its wood, gas, coal, or oil they probably do emit more carbon. For most people deciding if they are going to drive alone, car pool, take transit, walk or ride a bike for transportation is more within their controll.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

You're most probably correct about our nonrenewable energy resource of fossil fuels. However, the fact that the supply is limited merely highlights the urgency of human intervention with respect to our comprehensive world restrictive use of coal and petroleum. Most energy plants in American still use coal as a major energy source. This method continues to release all kinds of toxic gases and pollutants, including mercury, which is ruining the marine ecosystem, along with our food chain. That's not to mention the tons of CO2 being spewed into the atmosphere that is currently contributing to global warming.

You're a great person Art, and I feel honored sharing the planet with you!

Loved this post, and thanks for the links! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I thought buildings (air conditioning/ventilation/computing needs/lighting/heating etc) causes a higher carbon footprint than motor vehicles do.
True. That's why we must urgently search for alternative methods of clean energy distribution. Meanwhile, cycling is just one more drop in the bucket of atmospheric CO2 and pollution reduction.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.