Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mixed feeling on my commute. ONLY 3 miles round trip. Pros- Distance is so short that I can wear my office clothes and dont have to change..And I can ride when its 20 degrees out in the winter (againg without special stuff) Cons- Its just so short...

Who would like a 3 mile round trip commute to work?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have a 4 mile minimum commute to work (one way). I often add miles to ride further. I enjoy the luxury of having a short commute when I need it (in a hurry, morning meeting, slept in, etc) while still having the luxury of making the commute as long as I want when I have time.

·
Hoopy Frood
706 Posts
My shortest commute route is about 4.5 miles. It takes me about 15 minutes when I don't hit traffic issues or waste time. I almost always take that route in the morning since I'm perpetually late for everything.

On the ride home, I tend to wander a little more and enjoy the ride. My daily commuting miles end up being between 10 - 20 miles per day so it works out fine for me.

I like having a short commute - it's much better to have the option of riding longer if you feel like it rather than always have a long commute regardless of how you feel that day.

Sadly, my office will be moving within the next year or two so my commute will be changing. One location is only about 9 miles away, though, so that would still fall into my idea of a short commute. I'm hoping they pick that location - would be nice to have showers at the office, too.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
My problem is that I normally do not allow time for additional miles.. My train leaves pretty much on time every day...
So tack on the extra miles on the ride home :D

I'd love to have the flexibility that a 1.5 mile commute each way would allow! Take advantage of it. Heck, I'd consider walking 1.5 miles.....

·
Registered
289 Posts
My commute is a flat 3-4 km depending on if I take the road (with bike lane), one of two paved trails along the river, or the dirt trails. Yeah, my life is tough. :thumbsup:

At any rate, I love having the short commute. It takes me about 10 minutes to cruise to work on my banana seat. I ride in office clothes, and if I forget to bring lunch I can always cruise back home to eat.

If I were to move to a different city/job I would want to preserve my short commute. I'd rather keep it short and do my recreational riding when I get home.

·
duh...
9,749 Posts
so don't go straight to work/home... you could ride or walk whenever. home for lunch, no problem. the down side is that if you ever drive it you deserve to be kicked in the balls

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
I am with the others. A mile and half walk in the morning is only thirty minutes at most. If I wasn't tacking on additional miles on the way in or the way home I would just walk.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Muaythaibike said:
I have mixed feeling on my commute. ONLY 3 miles round trip. Pros- Distance is so short that I can wear my office clothes and dont have to change..And I can ride when its 20 degrees out in the winter (againg without special stuff) Cons- Its just so short...

Who would like a 3 mile round trip commute to work?
mine's 28 miles each way. I only do it once or twice a week, however.
three miles is so short, but I'm jealous..

·
Registered
12 Posts
My commute is about 10 miles each way which translates to about 30 to 40 minutes travel time. This is about right for me to wind up/ wind down from work. Anything less would be a problem since I have become really accustomed to the serenity of this period of the day. If I had a 3 mile commute, I would find a way to stretch it out rather than walk.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My ride is around 4.5 miles more or less, and I wish it were shorter. I don't need or want to use my to/from work rides as recreation; it's just not something I'm interested it all things considered, as I like leaving as late as possible when going in and getting home to some food as soon as possible when getting off.
No matter how long or short the ride though, it has to be better than driving.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.