Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,696 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to commute regularly years ago. Recently I got back into it. I've only been seriously commuting for 30 days but here are some observations...

1. Fenders are good even if it doesn't rain..People around here use sprinkler systems. The wet roads combined with new construction dirt/sand make for a mess. Fenders help keep me and my bike clean....

2. Messenger bags are a great way to carry gear....They are much more comfortable than a back pack

3. I found leaving my car at work vs home works much better(i'm lucky to have a safe place to keep it)...I'll run out a couple of times per week during lunch to pickup things...At home, I have the wifes car if needed on weekends or evenings but I find that I just don't drive that much anymore.... I save over $150/mo in gas by commuting...

4. I'm leaving home earlier and earlier every morning to enjoy some extra miles and the peace and quiet of my morning commute...

5. I never ride straight home....I always take the "long" way...

6. 32c tires rock.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Dave Hickey said:
4. I'm leaving home earlier and earlier every morning to enjoy some extra miles and the peace and quiet of my morning commute...

/QUOTE]

Dave - I leave at 04:30 every day for the same reason! I very much enjoy the solitude and additional safety of my morning commute; it is the best part of my day.

I too am lucky enough to have a car at work - we have a third vehicle and I just leave it here at the office for lunch/errands.

Bicycle commuting Rocks.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
My biggest observation is that I end up biking in weather conditions I would otherwise NEVER bike in---- and it really isn't that bad. Rain, snow, ice, wind, winter storms, you name it. There is no weather I won't ride to work in. There is no other reason I would be out in that mess--- other than to commute to or from work. I cannot remember the last time I drove to work-- and even then, it was to pick up some partners at the airport.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I draw the line at icy & snow covered roads, and dense fog. My commute is 18 mi. one way, and it's all on 2 lane, fairly heavy trafficed roads, with speed limits of 40-50 mph. Snow & ice? No thanks.

I agree about the dawn though. My favorite time of day. I leave at the relatively late hour of 5:00 AM. Lots of things to sense then; animals, bird songs, coffee brewing, a train whistle coming from 5 mi. away, etc. Coming home in the PM is much more "industrial" and nerve wracking. Traffic, deisel smells, sirens, road construction crews working...it's quite the contrast from the peace of the morning.

·
Registered
372 Posts

/QUOTE]

Dave - I leave at 04:30 every day for the same reason! I very much enjoy the solitude and additional safety of my morning commute; it is the best part of my day.

I too am lucky enough to have a car at work - we have a third vehicle and I just leave it here at the office for lunch/errands.

Bicycle commuting Rocks.[/QUOTE]

Completely agree! I enjoy commuting to work by bicycle in the morning. It's invigorating to roll out of bed and hop on the bike.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I find this too - when I go out for a non-commuting ride the weather has to be acceptable or I probably won't go - but I happily commute in all types of weather - this has resulted in a wider range of what I would class as acceptable weather

I would have to use the train/underground to get to work if I didn't commute - so I'm in the same kind of weather but without the same kind of suitable clothing

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sunrises are spectacular. Also the Temperature rising above 32, when all you have on are bibs and regular socks. And even though my commute is only 2.5 miles, I usually take the 10-20 mile "shortcut!" On Tues/Thurs I take the 60 mile shortcut.

I am starting to see more commuters on bicycles, but certainly not enough.

I'll have to try a messenger bag instead of a back pack. I usually bring in a change for the week on Monday then take it all home on Friday. But in a pinch I can just shoot home if I have to.

zac

·
Registered
735 Posts
Right on Dave! I agree, a bad bike ride to work is 1000% better than a bad car ride to work. I always feel better after getting off my bike, but if I sit in traffic in my car, I always feel frustrated when I get to my destination. At least on a bicycle if someone cuts you off- you can go faster and work it out of your system. Someone mentioned riding in the snow- well that is too hardcore for me, but man I love the summer! This is it- this is the time to ride every day, and mountain bike on weekends!!!! MTT :cool:

·
Registered
339 Posts
The early morning ride to work is my day's highlight. This past winter was my second year at making a real commitment to trying to ride year round. I live west of Boston and found weather didn't phase me, but riding home in the dark with all the added traffic combined with poor road conditions (potholes, cracks in the pavement, pavement patches, etc) and a limited shoulder did.

I have good lights fore and aft, but I still felt I couldn't see far enough ahead to be comfortable and when I needed to avoid one hazard or another the only place to go, all too often, was to my left into traffic.

In the early morning though, everything is good; its a new day.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Some additional observations about bike commuting:

-- I'm in a much better mood after I bike commute, both at work and at home.
-- Those gas savings are starting to add up now that prices have hit $4/gallon.
-- The morning commute is almost always nicer than afternoon, whether it's winter, spring, summer or fall. I'm not a "morning person" by nature, but starting to become one.
-- I've been pleasantly surprised -- maybe shocked -- that most drivers seem friendly or at least accomodating in my area. In 14 months of bike commuting, I could count on one hand the number of times I've been honked or yelled at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Commuting

Dave,
It was great doing the "Train ride" with you guys again. It's got to work out better next time :)
I've been commuting at least three days a week, 11 miles each way, for the past four months now and must agree that the benefits far outweigh the costs for driving. Not to mention all the health benefits and getting the workout without sacrificing family time.

I thought I'd forward you a recent email and petition for those of us in the DFW area. A friend of mine started this group up a couple of years ago. Feel free to distribute to all your cycling friends.

Petition in Support of Bicycling in North Texas

7 cyclists in the past 7 days have been hit by cars in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. 2 were killed, 1 is in critical condition in the ICU at last report.

It's all just too much. Recently a city council person said "Well there are not many people in my district who want to ride bikes anyway" Let's prove him and a whole host of others like him wrong.

This isn't just for the roadies or the mountain bikers - although we want you to sign it! It is for your neighbors whose kids ride to school, it is for the older couple on the corner who ride around the block. It is for anyone who in any way at all wants to see bikes on the streets without fear in North Texas. It is for those who would rather ride off the street, is is for those who will ride anywhere - and mostly - for those who won't ride at all given current conditions.

Please forward this to everyone and anyone - it will not be used for commercial purposes, it will be used to answer comments such as the one above with "Well sir, actually there are 1217 people in your district who WANT to cycle!" and be able to prove it.

Sign the petition -
http://www.bikepetition.eventbrite.com

We don't want to spam you or share your information with commercial entities. We really don't. We just want to be able to show up!

Sincerely -
BikeDFW

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
gentryd said:
Recently a city council person said "Well there are not many people in my district who want to ride bikes anyway"
Of course they don't want to ride. They're afraid they'll die. Build it, and they will come (didn't some famous dude say that once or twice? :idea: )

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.