Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
monkey with flamethrower
821 Posts
This Hummer ad seems to imply that if I buy an H3 I will magically be transported to a world of constant outdoor adventure as indicated by their slogan 'welcome to the open'. It apparently has excellent resale value and is 85% recyclable to appeal to our inner hippies. Hmmm.....

·
Registered
309 Posts
Dude. One of my SS commuter bikes is a late 70's Motobecane. I would not compare it to a Hummer. But my SS rigid MTB. That's a tank.

I drove a Hummer in the Air Force back in the 80's. I hated them. So I never understood the "Hummer" fad.

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
A Hummer is just symbolic. I get passed daily by 70's and 80's pickup trucks that get worst mileage and put out far more polution. An H3 is a mid-size SUV. The law of supply and demand with take care it shortly.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
bigbill said:
A Hummer is just symbolic. I get passed daily by 70's and 80's pickup trucks that get worst mileage and put out far more polution. An H3 is a mid-size SUV. The law of supply and demand with take care it shortly.
Maybe that's true, but the difference is people now should know better, yet they still march into a dealership and buy these things. Well, maybe not the Hummers so much anymore. :wink:

·
Big is relative
11,901 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
Maybe that's true, but the difference is people now should know better, yet they still march into a dealership and buy these things. Well, maybe not the Hummers so much anymore. :wink:
You mean something like a four door Ford F150 4X4 with the towing package and 5.4L V8? I got around 18mpg on my trip to Coopers. Commuting saves me around $14-15 a day in gas. It is an 07 and it is almost due for it's second oil change.

·
Failboat Captian
6,559 Posts
DrRoebuck said:
I don't know about that. It seems the dealers can't get trucks and SUVs off the lots these days. Isn't GM shutting down a bunch of production lines for both of those?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I saw a Hummer H2 this morning on my commute that was a landscaping firms vehicle called "Organic Landscapes" and some advertising about their environmentally conscious stand listed on the side. This wasn't a works truck designed to haul tools and materials, it was a tricked out chromed wheel bohemoth. Not the best way to convey your earth friendly message I didn't think.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,062 Posts
JohnnyTooBad said:
I don't know about that. It seems the dealers can't get trucks and SUVs off the lots these days. Isn't GM shutting down a bunch of production lines for both of those?
The numbers are going down for sure. But people are still buying too many of them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
"All Things Considered, June 3, 2008 · General Motors is closing four plants in North America, a move prompted by soaring gas prices and slumping sales of sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks. At the same time, GM plans a new emphasis on compact cars and is reviewing the future of the Hummer."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.