Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just a guess from years ago. Maybe easiest would be from Oak Cliff. There are plenty of back streets from north until you get to Cedar Springs IIRC. From the east, I'd parallel Mockingbird to Martel then live oak or gaston. Uptown's the easiest I bet. I'm way south of all that now, thank goodness. You're going to have lots of cars any way you go.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Where are you coming from?

If it's from the north, the Katy Trail goes from basically SMU to the AAC. You can take that all the way down and get anywhere in downtown from there. Or you could ride your bike to any of the DART stations and take the train into downtown.

Downtown should be a piece of cake from just about anywhere.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys

innergel said:
Where are you coming from?

If it's from the north, the Katy Trail goes from basically SMU to the AAC. You can take that all the way down and get anywhere in downtown from there. Or you could ride your bike to any of the DART stations and take the train into downtown.

Downtown should be a piece of cake from just about anywhere.
to everyone so far for responding

job would be downtown Commerce/Main - am open to any suggestions about where to live - we have 2 boys under 5 - would be up for an hour commute but suspect that the closer to downtown the better

·
Registered
766 Posts
M.J. said:
to everyone so far for responding

job would be downtown Commerce/Main - am open to any suggestions about where to live - we have 2 boys under 5 - would be up for an hour commute but suspect that the closer to downtown the better
Well IMO the East Dallas area is very nice, mostly older neighborhoods with great old trees and lots of individuality, as opposed to cookie cutter houses in the suburbs, also close to White Rock Lake and close to downtown... I ride out my front door all the time... I did live in the suburbs, but hope never to go back to that...... I will be working just North of downtown and will start to commute as well.

One issue will be the schools though... There are some good schools, but overall Dallas is not known for good schools... In Lakewood (East Dallas neighborhood) there are several good grade schools.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
pedalruns said:
Well IMO the East Dallas area is very nice, mostly older neighborhoods with great old trees and lots of individuality, as opposed to cookie cutter houses in the suburbs, also close to White Rock Lake and close to downtown... I ride out my front door all the time... I did live in the suburbs, but hope never to go back to that...... I will be working just North of downtown and will start to commute as well.

One issue will be the schools though... There are some good schools, but overall Dallas is not known for good schools... In Lakewood (East Dallas neighborhood) there are several good grade schools.
I'll second what pedalruns says here. Lakewood (near White Rock Lake) is a great neighborhood but you are going to pay a hefty premium to get into the best elementary schools. But once your kids are out of elementary school the quality of the schools degrades pretty quickly.

If you want a fairly close in neighborhood, then consider Lake Highlands (that's where we live). It is a Dallas address but the schools are in Richardson (suburban) school district, which is excellent. The housing is still affordable compared to other places like Highland Park or Lakewood and they hold their value very well. You are no more than a few miles from White Rock Lake (good riding). There is also easy access to the DART train. You can be downtown on the DART in 30 minutes from anywhere in LH.

·
waterproof*
41,745 Posts
Anywhere within pedaling distance of DART rail should work.

You can now bring bikes on the trains 24x7 though it does get full during rush hour. The rail goes all the way out to Richardson and Plano, land of suburbia, and into Garland, inspiration for the show "King of the Hill." All of these towns have good schools, with Richardson and Plano locked in a cage match over who's best. The northernmost DART station also puts you pedaling distance from Allen, another 'burban.

If you don't want to do the train, only want to pedal, You got the greater east side / White Rock area as mentioned, you got the "Park Cities" and "Uptown" for the high dollar set, and you got across the river into Southern Dallas County (the p.c. term) or Oak Cliff where there are some nice neighborhoods but you should budget for private school.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't know your price range, but Kessler Park is (in my opinion) one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Dallas and is near downtown ( http://www.kesslerpark.org/ )

Also, there are some nice areas in Oak Cliff.

The issue you'll run in to will be the school district. Living near downtown will mean sending your kids to schools that most consider to be "bad" or paying for them to go to private school (of which Dallas has some good ones, or so I've heard).

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I think Oak Cliff is the best commute, really. and ASW is right about Kessler Park. I'd opt for private or parochial schools wherever you live in Dallas, but just my 2 cnts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.